Help with Johnson Controller settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I just got a Johnson A419 wired controller that I plan on using with a full size fridge so I can ferment at a stable temp. I know I am making it a lot harder than what it really is, but can someone approve of my settings. I want to Ferment around 65 so here are my settings:

SP: 65
SF: 1
OFS: 0
ASD: 10
DIF: 3

Also is it better to tape the probe to the side of my carboy or put the probe in a glass of water? Thank you for your help! :mug:

If the two jumpers are in their factory positions, you're running Cooling/Cut-In mode, so your settings will turn on the compressor when the temperature rises to 65 and will turn off when the temperature drops to 62. That's certainly in the ball park. I usually run a tighter differential for fermentation but that's dealer's choice.

As for the probe, find a chunk of bubble wrap or thick foam insulation, place it over your temperature probe against the side of your fermentation vessel, and strap it tight (I found long 2" wide velcro straps at Home Depot that are perfect for this)...

Cheers!

If you want to ferment at 65, then you should set your SP to 66, and your DIF to 1.

This will turn on when it sees 66, then it'll stay on until it hits 64. Your beer will stay right around 65. I use a DIF of 1 and my kegerator doesn't cycle on very much - the beer holds it's temp pretty well.

As stated above tape your probe to the side of your fermenter and insulate it. I have this same temp controller, and what I do is tape it with electrical tape to the side, and make sure it's covered completely. On top of that I have a piece of cardboard that covers it and is sealed all the way around. On top of that, I have bubble wrap that is covered in electrical tape and sealed all the way around also. This prevents the probe from being influenced by the surrounding air, and the temp reads quite accurately.

Back