Help with IPL recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn0522

Reaction score
So I do IPAs mostly but just recently finished up fermentation chamber and really want to try an IPL. I am wanting, citrusy, with a smooth bitterness, and a lot of hop aroma. Here is the recipe I have so far and could really use some help especially with the fermentation schedule.

The grist is similar to an IPA i make and really like. I usually brew 6.5 gal batches and leave 1 gallon behind of trub and put 5.5 gal into fermenter (i know i am wasting some here, but grain is cheap). I get around 74% mash efficiency. Shooting for around 5.50 - 6% abv especially since i usually get better attenuation, but again first lager so who knows. Ahtanum is a new hope for me. I bought a bunch of it and thought this would be a great way to use it.

All Grain

11lbs Pale 2 row (should I use some pilsner malt)
1.5lbs Munich Light
.50lbs Crystal 40L

Mash at 150 for 60 min
Boil for 60 min with following additions.

1oz Simcoe at 60 min/ 35 IBU
1oz Cascade at 15 min/ 11 IBU
1oz Ahtanum at 15 min/ 7 IBU
1.5oz Cascade at 0 min - whirlpool 15 min
1.5oz ahtanum at 0 min - whirlpool 15 min
1oz cascade dry hop 5 days
1oz ahtanum dry hop 5 days

I have WLP800 yeast but if this makes no sense can get a starter going of something else.

Planned to ferment in low 50s till mostly fermented out and then ramp up to mid 60s for a few days then lager at high 30s for 3-4 weeks. Then ramp up to low 60s to Dry hop for 5 days then crash and keg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you are concerned about getting a smooth, mild bitterness then just drop the 60min addition. Up the flameout ones and you can maximize the hop character you taste while getting very little resulting bitterness

if you are concerned about getting a smooth, mild bitterness then just drop the 60min addition. Up the flameout ones and you can maximize the hop character you taste while getting very little resulting bitterness

Fermentation schedule ok?

yeah. Im guessing you meant to type WLP080? The cream ale blend?

Ive used this a number of times and I like it better than other choices for ale/lager hybridish strains. It ferments well even in the low 50s and is pretty clean even in the mid 60s. I think your plan looks good. I might add some more hops to the keg since the lagering process will prevent you from drinking it at its freshest in terms of hop character

yeah. Im guessing you meant to type WLP080? The cream ale blend?

Ive used this a number of times and I like it better than other choices for ale/lager hybridish strains. It ferments well even in the low 50s and is pretty clean even in the mid 60s. I think your plan looks good. I might add some more hops to the keg since the lagering process will prevent you from drinking it at its freshest in terms of hop character

Nope WLP800 its a Pilsner Lager Yeast. Great idea for hops in keg as well. Thanks

Back