Help with Insulating the Bottom of my Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a snake that has been around the block in many different roles. It is a bottom drain HLT now with 1/3 cut off of the top. I had a welder weld a 1' SS pipe for the bottom drain and three legs. It is great but I want to insulate the bottom to hold more heat in for fast temp rises.

So what are your suggestions?

Now I have some Reflectix taped across in strips which is temporary. The legs and pipe kind of get in the way for any kind of material. Was thinking Great Stuff spray foam but thought I would run it by the forum. Thanks for your input.

Spray foam is good, but can be messy and rather permanent.

Some wrap the kettle w Saran Wrap then apply the foam to make a release mold that can be installed and removed.

Most of the heat leaves the top of the kettle, do you have a tight fitting insulated lid?

Thanks for your reply. I am in the process of making a lid from some SS scrap I found at the recycle place. It will be pretty tight fitting - maybe :) Since this is for the bottom underneath I do not think I can do anything other than stuff, paste or spray something in there. The only reason I can see needing to get to this area is if the weld somehow falls apart and needs to be fixed. It has been in place for a few years.

But if you think I will not gain much by insulating the bottom maybe it is not worth it? Since legs are welded on, the whole thing is elevated. So air is flowing underneath.

Thinking you need to strike hotter and preheat that heavy as hell keggle as well...

Fast temp rises? That has more to do with power in, than insulation. ???

Guessing you may be underpowered or impatient, possibly both.

I doubt spray foam will make a world of difference over reflect x.

Anything else you want to give your opinion on? :) The Reflect x is temporary as I stated because there is too much in the way on the bottom. Right now it is held on with air conditioner tape which is starting to peel a bit do to the strange angles.

Most of the convective heat loss will be from the top and sides.
Radiated losses are pretty equal all around.
Your best use of insulation are in this order First, the top Second the sides, the bottom is a distant third.

With legs and drains complicating insulating the bottom, if it were mine, I would not bother with the bottom.

Thanks for your input. I made a lid yesterday so I think I will just leave the taped Reflect-X in place and not pursue the bottom. The sides have a layer of the Reflect-X wrapped as well. Done!

Back