Help with initial strike temp for Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice to give me the best method to determine my strike water so when I add my grain (68-70 F) that my desired mash temp hits relatively close. I don't plan to do HERMS or RIMS. I have used multiple calculators and no matter what it says to do, as soon as the grain is in, it always drops 10 degree below desired mash temp.

Anyone out there have input on this?

I am looking for some advice to give me the best method to determine my strike water so when I add my grain (68-70 F) that my desired mash temp hits relatively close. I don't plan to do HERMS or RIMS. I have used multiple calculators and no matter what it says to do, as soon as the grain is in, it always drops 10 degree below desired mash temp.

Are you preheating your mash tun before adding the grain?

I did mine by trial and error. If you are coming in 10deg below just add 10 deg to your strike temp, maybe a bit more to account for the cold grain, say 12deg. Then refine further in subsequent brews. See how you go.

The calculators can never really be that accurate, but does seem like you're miles out!!

Are you preheating your mash tun before adding the grain?

That's probably the issue. When I used a cooler mash tun, I would preheat the cooler. The calculated strike temperature (by whatever method) then always put me right on mash temperature after adding grains.

I agree with @smokeymcbong experience trumps any calculator but if using one they are only as accurate as the info you feed them. I use beersmith and tell it a few things to give me strike temperatures that result in correct mash temps usually to within 0.5F. I make all temperture readings with an accurate calibrated thermometer. (Thermapen)
  • Mash tun weight
  • mash tun material
  • Mash tun temperature (there is an easy way to know this*)
  • Grain temperature
  • Grain weight
  • Strike water volume

*Adding water to the tun hotter than the calculated strike temperature and allowing the temperature to gradually lower to the desired strike temperature allows the valid assumption that mash-tun and water temperature are equal. This eliminates a big variable.

Strike water temp is one of those bedeviling things that requires a little "hit and miss" experimentation to get it where you want. The calculators will get you in the ballpark, but it takes a few tries to get the right empirical values that fit your equipment and processes.

Ditto for water volume calcs.

Back