Help with IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I am going to add 8 or 9 lbs Light / XLite DME.
I have 2 oz og 16.7% Warrior that I will split between boil times to get 80-100 IBU.
Partial Boil.

How much steeping grains do you recommend?

Here is what I have in stock:
1# C40
1# Carared
1.5# C10
1# Carapils

Plus I have a LHBS if needed.

Thanks.

Use all the C40 and get some flavor and aroma hops. NZ hops are flavorful, might be a good choice if you like them. An ounce of whatever you like at each of 20, 10, 5, 0, and then a big dry hop (3-5+ oz of a blend of aromatic hops).

Edit: also add a pound of sugar at flameout to help dry it out.

Can you tell me more about the pound of sugar to dry out the beer? I ve been looking for ways to get dry IPAs, even when using only light DME and no steeping, I get a pretty strong malty background which is not ideal for some of the styles I want to brew (stuff like BrewDog Punk or others dry IPAs)

Does dry hopping affect flavor? Aroma is not a top concern.

Aroma alters the perceived flavor because those senses are so closely linked. Your tongue can only sense very few flavors. The complete dynamic of "flavors" that we perceive are really due to our sense of smell.

Can you tell me more about the pound of sugar to dry out the beer? I ve been looking for ways to get dry IPAs, even when using only light DME and no steeping, I get a pretty strong malty background which is not ideal for some of the styles I want to brew (stuff like BrewDog Punk or others dry IPAs)

Dme comes with some unfermentable sugars in it already. Sugar is 100% fermentable, so it increases the fermentable: unfermentable ratio, resulting in a beer that is drier than one with 100% extract.

I'd use no more than about 1/2 pound crystal malt in an IIPA batch, but you could use .5 pound of crystal 40L and also some carapils (say, .5 pound) to make sure you have good head retention. You will though- hops also help with foam and foam retention.

I'd use the DME, and use a pound of corn sugar as well to make sure the yeast fully attenuates.

I would almost recommend adding corn sugar to all your hop-forward beers. Best thing you can do for that style is dry them out past 1.014. 1.010 is ideal for most IPAs. Cheers!!

The extract should already have carapils, no? That's why I was thinking to leave it out, it seems overkill for an IIPA with 9 lbs of extract.

The extract should already have carapils, no? That's why I was thinking to leave it out, it seems overkill for an IIPA with 9 lbs of extract.

I don't think Light or X-light extract has Carapils. I think it is just 2-row or Pilsner malt.

To reply to the original question about the IIPA.

- I'd go no more than 1 lb of Crystal (including any Carapils). Probably less.

- Replace a pound of DME with a pound of Plain Table sugar. I see no reason to use corn sugar. Plain sugar is 100% fermentable, on it's own it will ferment to below 1.000, so actually results in lowering the FG of the beer.

- More hops. Need lots of flavor an aroma hops. Dry hopping is nice, but not required. Lots of hops is the hallmark of an IPA.

- What yeast? You want one that will do well. You want a relatively high attenuator, and one that is OK with high alcohol. S-05, or Notty are both good choices. Stay away from Windsor or basic Coopers and Muntons yeast for this style of beer. I'm assuming you are using dry yeast.

- Aerate well, it is the best thing you can do for the yeast.

- What yeast? You want one that will do well. You want a relatively high attenuator, and one that is OK with high alcohol. S-05, or Notty are both good choices. Stay away from Windsor or basic Coopers and Muntons yeast for this style of beer. I'm assuming you are using dry yeast.

- Aerate well, it is the best thing you can do for the yeast.

IMO, this is most important. My first IIPA with a packet of dry yeast tossed into 13# of pale LME tasted horrible. Subsequent batches with a starter from a liquid yeast fared much better.

I have sf04 and 05 on hand. Adequate?

I will, for the 1st time ever, rehydrate.

I'd use the 05 over the 04 because I like the fact that it is a cleaner tasting, higher attenuating yeast. If you want a maltier or more English style beer, 04 will do that for you.

Latest posts

Back