help with high gravity beer small kettle BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonley

Reaction score
Would like to take a shot at brewing an Old Ale and other HG brews but only have just under a 8 gallon kettle and I brew in a bag. I have some old "Ale Pale" buckets and was wondering if I could just do my normal mash, transfer 1st wort into an Ale Pale, do a new 2nd mash and just boil that down while continuously adding the 1st mash until I get to the volume I usually add my bittering hops. Would this work? How could I project my gravity?

That should work. With higher OG brews the extract efficiency suffers due to higher grain to water ratio. If you mash several times, you're using more water, and will extract more sugars from the grains. Then you can do an extended boil to get your volume right, and just see where you'll end up OG-wise. You can mash with a thickness of 2.5 to 1 (water - grains), and just drain and do it over until the wort starts to taste thin (or getting low readings, like 1.015ish) or astringent, and just boil it down. Go for it.

I go 1.25-1 then sparge to 7-7.5 then boil to 6-6.5

What I used to use in the apartment was :

Mash in a boil kettle, then pour into a 5 gallon bucket )I drilled with holes) that was inside my bottling bucket
Have my sparge water that I have heating up on the stove in a bunch of pots and slowly pour it over the grains to get to my pre boil yield

Then I would pour the beer back into the kettle and boil it.

Always worked for me.

Back