Help with first yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
OK, so this will be my first yeast starter. I am making an american amber with an OG of 1.052. I will be making a 5 gallon batch but usually end up with 5.5 gallons post boil (7 gallon pre-boil). Using the online Mr. Malty calculator it says I need one activator pack in 2L for a simple starter (which I assume means no shaking). Does that seem big for a starter? I have a one gallon glass growler that I plan to use but noticed that when filled with 2L it only half full. Is head space a problem? I assume not since oxygenation is good for yeast growth but I wanted to check. I certainly can shake intermittently but because of work I will only be able to shake it every once in a while. Does this sound right? My plan is smack the pack tonight, make the starter tomorrow, put it in the fridge friday morning, warm it up to room temp Saturday and then decant the top of the wort and reconstitute the yeast cake before pitching on Saturday. Will this work? Thanks for the help
Ben

Your plan sounds good. A simple 2l starter will double the cell count in one activator pack and should give you about 200 billion cells. If you used a stir plate and had reasonably fresh yeast you could cut that down to around a 1Liter starter and produce the same 200 billion cells. Thats whats nice about a stir plate (smaller starter size) but what you are doing will produce the same result.:rockin:

Does that seem big for a starter? I have a one gallon glass growler that I plan to use but noticed that when filled with 2L it only half full. Is head space a problem? I assume not since oxygenation is good for yeast growth but I wanted to check.

Sounds like the right size for what you're doing, and head space is a good thing with a starter. Also don't put an airlock on, only some sanitized foil over the top to keep stuff from falling in.

Back