Help with First Time Kegging - Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephed666

Reaction score
Hey there:

I plan on kegging my first 5 gallon IPA batch this weekend. Unfortunately the kegerator is not complete yet. I plan on kegging and storing at room temperature with the CO2 connected. I wanted to know if this sounds right...

Room temp is around 72 - 75 in my basement. (I know it is warm but it is the summer...) I figure the carbonation level needs to be at around 2.2-2.7.
Should I be setting the CO2 pressure at 30psi? And can I leave it set that for for a few weeks? Once I get the kegerator up and running I will turn down the pressure to about 11psi at 38 degrees...

Does this sound correct? :)

Or can I just hit it with 10psi of CO2 when filled and store it at room temp not connected to the CO2 until the kegerator is ready?

Thanks!

you can... or just hit it with 30 psi every day or other day...at some point it will stop taking any gas in.

yeah 30psi at rooms temps will give you about the same as 10-12 psi at fridge temps given enough time. I have a 3way co2 distribution manifold that I use to precarb my kegs at room temp while I wait for space in the kegerator. So this one stays at 30psi and if there's more kegs than available ports I just switch them around every now and then. As long as it stays around 30psi inside the keg, youll be good. The first 24hrs or so you can sometimes hear the co2 dissolving into solution. Especially if you jostle the keg a bit

in addition to what the others have suggested, here is a great chart that shows you what carbonation levels to expect at certain temperatures vs pressure:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
So leaving your beer carbonating at 30 PSI at room temp for a few weeks will probably give you a nice carbonation level.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help...

I just plugged in the kegerator and have it down to 38 degrees.
Can I put the keg in and just turn down the psi to 11? Or should I chill the keg first and release the CO2?
The keg has been at room temp(75 degrees) on 30psi for only a day right now...

I tested the beer the other day. Still seems a little flat. Is that normal? It was carbing for only 5 days at that point.
again, 38 degreees at 11-12 PSI.

I figured I'd wait another week and see....

yeah...as serving pressure it will take 2 weeks or so to carb up.

The 30 lbs for a day at room temperature didn't add much. At serving pressure and cold it takes a couple of weeks. Or you can increase the pressure for maybe 24 hours. Purge and set to serving pressure to speed things up.

Latest posts

Back