Help with "creamy" cream ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
Like many people, when I first heard the term "Cream Ale" I had in my mind a creamy, big mouthfeel ale. Of course, that's not what a cream ale is.

But!!!!!!

I wanted to make a beer that is closer to what I originally suspected cream ale to be. Light in color, clean, not "malty" yet very creamy and kind of sweet. Here is the recipe I came up with.

3 lb American 2-row malt
1 lb Wheat malt
3 lb Flaked oats
12 oz Flaked barley
12 oz CaraPils
12 oz Crystal 15

1 oz Cascade - 60 mins
1 oz Czech Saaz - 10 mins

1 lb lactose

Denny's Favorite Yeast (WYeast 1450)

Mash at 160F.
65F fermentation
Lager for 3 weeks

A bit less carbonation than a normal beer

How does this look? Any suggestions?

And also, if this is not a cream ale, what would this style be called?

Man, my topics must be super boring. I always have to bump them! :)

BUMP.

Anyone? Come on, who wouldn't like to brew this beer?! :p

Haha! Well even if everyone else it too cool for school, I'll post on your thread.

I'm very new to homebrewing (on my 3rd 5-gallon batch), but I've always liked cream ales. I think your pound of lactose is a great idea - I would have only thought to put it in a stout or porter, but I think I'd be happy in a cream ale. If you want a REAL creamy mouth feel, I might add more than just 1 pound of lactose, but that might make the body too thick for what you're going for. I would roll the dice and toss in 2 lbs. of lactose because I like REALLY thick stouts and bready ales, but that's just me.

I've added flacked wheat in my last 2 beers, and I love what it does to the beer, but I've never worked with flacked barley. I'd assume that it would make the beer cloudy (if that bother's you), but I sorta like the "haze" that it makes.

I also like your hop selection. I just used a boat-load of cascade for the first time, and it's really the only hop I ever want to use :) Just enough bitter to get the job done, plus lots of other fun flavors. Haha.

I don't have the ability to lager beer right now so I don't have any input on that, but it seems like you'd have a very clean tasting beer when it's all said and done.

Happy Brewing!

I think mashing at 160 will give you plenty of sweetness without adding the lactose. If you do both it will end up tasting like malta IMO. The oats and wheat will give you a hearty "creamy" taste. You will not get "light in body" with flaked oats, but that goal seems to be at odds with your other goals - if you meant "light in color" then I think you will get that.

Personally I would hate this beer, but I think you might get what you're after. I know a great way to find out, anyway - brew it and report back!

Thanks for the replies mrphillips and chocotaco. Chocotaco, you're right, I didn't mean to write "light in body." I've corrected that.

I've read that I can replace the 2-row with Munich malt to get a thick mouthfeel as well. So I will try that.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Although now I read in beersmith that Munich Malt "does not contribute significantly to body." I'm confused.:confused:

Some kilned malts will give you color (from the roast), flavor (from modification of sugars and flavor compunds, and caramelization by the roast) and body (from proteins and starches being chemically changed by the roast). Beersmith is saying that Munich primarily contributes a certain color and flavor, but not necessarily body or head retention (you get color and malty flavors, but no proteins or dextrins that would contribute to mouthfeel or head).

I have never used Munich so I don't know firsthand, but I would trust Beersmith for the most part as Brad Smith knows what he's talking about.

I wouldn't worry about trying to boost mouthfeel. IMHO you will get plenty from the large percentage of oats you're using. Typically oats are used as no more than 30% of the grist (but again, that's because "typically" people don't have the same goals for the finished beer as you do)

I think what you're trying to brew is very different from what most people try to brew, so your best bet is to just do it, see how it turns out and then try to address specific changes you want to taste next time. In your case I think trying to get it "just right" before you brew it will be a recipe for never brewing it. I say just F-in' go for it and see how it turns out. Whatever qualities of the beer you don't end up liking, it will be relatively easy to figure out how to correct them and you can go from there. Research is great, but in the end brewing is a "hands-on" learning process - each batch can be considered a relatively inexpensive lesson in how to make the beer you want to drink.

Again, it's just my opinion and I'm by no means a seasoned brewer. So take it with a grain of barley :)

Might want to poke around the recipe forum and check out Scottish Ales, some of which have lactose. When those are served on a nitro tap theyre veeeery creamy.

Thanks for the replies. I will think about those points.

Another thing I've read about is the end beer pH. I know that a higher pH is more "creamy" so to speak, so is it possible to bring the beer pH up after fermentation to get a creamier mouthfeel?

seanapp,
I know this is an ancient thread now, but I came across your ingredient list for this recipe. I have compiled almost the exact same grain bill that I'd like to use for a cream ale and am interested in how you liked your idea.

1)Did you ever brew a batch with your list?
2)How did it come out?
3)Did you change anything to make it 'better'?

Latest posts

Back