Help with BeerSmith mash tun deadspace recoverable vs loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gresco

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

(Sorry repost, posted in beginners but recommended I post here)

I'm trying to set up an equipment profile in BeerSmith, and I'm struggling with some terms. A quick history: had my first all-grain brew day about a month ago, and I have an igloo cooler style mash tun, with false bottom (about 3.5-4 inches high) and the ball valve/drain sits well below it. I did not account for this loss of strike water, and had to rush to boil more (as I didn't boil enough). I was able to get it in and solve the issue. But now, I'm trying to make sure my calculations are all on track.

During the equipment profile set up in BeerSmith, I see

"Mash Tun addition to compensate for recoverable volume under the filter screen"

and

"Deadspace in mash tun (volume before filter you can't recover)?

I think I understand this, but just want to make sure..... I calculated .75 g between the drain and the bottom of the tun that I can't recover.
So is the addition of water, to compensate, going to be the space between the drain and the false bottom? or the bottom of the tun to the false bottom?

Kinda feel like I'm obsessing over a small detail, but because it's such a large space, I need to know that I have the right amount of water.

Thanks

Back