Help with an element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizzt

Reaction score
I would like to start my electric BIAB system. I will start with 2 120 volt elements. Then add PID's and other options as the SWMBO approves. What is the safest and strongest element and where can I get them.

The highest wattage element is going to be directly related to your circuits amperage and voltage. Divide wattage by voltage to get amperage so, say you are looking at a 1500 watt 110v element, the typical household wiring is 110v with a 15 amp breaker. So, 1500/110 = 13.63 so you are pretty close to maxing that circuit. If you want to go higher you will need to run the other element off another circuit. Most of us use ULWD Camco elements, readily available online or at Amazon.

Bensiff said:
The highest wattage element is going to be directly related to your circuits amperage and voltage. Divide wattage by voltage to get amperage so, say you are looking at a 1500 watt 110v element, the typical household wiring is 110v with a 15 amp breaker. So, 1500/110 = 13.63 so you are pretty close to maxing that circuit. If you want to go higher you will need to run the other element off another circuit. Most of us use ULWD Camco elements, readily available online or at Amazon.

Thank you. I ran separate 30 amp home runs to my brew corner so I think I'm good there. I was concerned the 1500 Camco was coated with nickle and chromium.

Drizzt said:
Thank you. I ran separate 30 amp home runs to my brew corner so I think I'm good there. I was concerned the 1500 Camco was coated with nickle and chromium.

Edit. It is nickel and stainless steel.

All water heater elements are safe - even the copper coated ones. And as far as metals are concerned, you consume far more copper & nickel from the spare change you carry around than you will from your brew rig.

Latest posts

Back