Help with an APA stall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optx

Reaction score
I recently brewed an APA using Imperial House liquid yeast. I made a yeast starter and ran it on a stir plate for 24hrs.I pitched the yeast at an ambient well aerated wort temp of 66F with a SG of 1.066. After 10 days my gravity was at 1.028. My target grav was to be 1.015. After the stall out I re-oxygenated and added some Saf-05 directly without rehydrating the yeast. I took a measurement and my gravity is now 1.022. The beer still tastes sweet and I am contemplating adding some Mangrove Jack M54 lager yeast. My rational for this is that I've moved the beer out of my fermentation refrigerator and have it at an ambient 74F in my home.

Is it worth it to add even more yeast to try and have it finish out for the .7 points and will doing this help to remove the sweet taste it has? I've also contemplated dry hopping to try and help the flavor.

Thanks

It would help us to know more about your mash schedule. And maybe how you are taking your gravity measurements.

Mash schedule was 150F for 60mins with a 90min boil. Gravity reading was done with both tilt hydrometer and actual hydrometer.

I don’t own a Tilt but have read a few posts where readings were inaccurate because of gunk on the device but since you are using a hydrometer to back that up, I am a bit stumped. Don’t think throwing more yeast at it is the answer though. Maybe amylase.

It's kinda of interesting. I typically do a x2 mill on my grains and stir quite often to get everything nice and rinsed.I've only encountered issues with a stalled batch once before using the notorious wyeast 3724(1.030 stall). I'm thinking that maybe the gravity was too high for this yeast strain but not sure.

You've already added plenty of yeast, assuming this is a 5 gallon batch, so I don't think more will help. Is this an extract kit - what was the recipe? Is it possible you accidentally added more specialty malts than assumed or entered it wrong in the software or calculator?

I would let it sit for a few more days. I've had beers I worried about, but I've never had one that didn't finish out to an appropriate gravity.

It's an all grain recipe and a clone of Stone's 7th anniversary pale ale. I got the recipe from AHA. Its been sitting for almost a month now. I stopped checking on it and added some dry hops. I'll prob go ahead and keg it sometime this week. I'll keep yall posted.

It's not likely to ferment anymore if it's been a month. 1.022 is a but high for an APA. If it still tastes a little sweet, you can give it a more bitter perception by carbonating it a little higher than normal.

Back