Help with a weissbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
I'm attempting a weissbier recipe that has a more complex procedure that the simple all grain recipes I'm used to so I'm looking for some clarification. Heres a link to the recipe

Step by Step
Dough in at 99 °F (37 °C) with about 2 gallons (~7.5 L) of water. This amounts to a 2:1 liquor to grist ratio. Allow for a 30-minute rest to thoroughly hydrate the grist, then bring the grain bed gradually to the mash-out temperature of 145 °F (63 °C) using a hot-water infusion and direct heat. While ramping up, employ a 20-minute protein and beta-glucan rest at 122 °F (50°C). Give the grain bed a 60-minute rest at 145 °F (63 °C) to allow for thorough starch conversion, then recirculate the first runnings until they are clear and sparge while maintaining a stable grain bed temperature.

As I've interpreted it:

1. Add 2 gallons of water at 37C to grains and let rest for 30 minutes
2. Bring temperature up to 50C for a 20 minute protein rest.
3. Bring temperature up to 63C and let rest for 60 minutes
4. Vorleuf and sparge as normal

Questions I have:

Am I right on the process?

When I'm bringing the temperature up are the grains in the mash tun or a kettle on a heat source?

Should all of the strike water be in for the 20 minute protein rest?

What type of system do you have? How confident/experienced of a homebrewer are you?

Well as far as I can tell you have the steps correct....however, in order to heat up the mash as the directions say, your tun needs to be able to withstand being on some direct heat source (AKA a burner). If you have a converted keg or something like that as your mash/lauter tun you should be fine, but if you are using a cooler for a mash tun, you wont be able to directly heat it up. What the recipe is essentially talking about is a decoction-style mash (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_mash). It's not too hard in theory but it does take more time and is a little more labor intensive. I think that while the protein and beta-glucan rest would probably help you get the absolute most out of the grains and stay as accurate to the style as possible, a simple single temperature batch sparge or even a fly sparge would produce excellent results. Ensuring that you have the appropriate mash temp as well as being able to maintain that temp for the full duration of the mash will be more important in producing the correct flavor profile than attempting a multi step decoction. Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply!

I have a cooler mash tun, but I could probably use my supplies from when I used to do BIAB.

Back