Help with a Red Banshee Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genjin

Reaction score
After a ten year hiatus I am brewing again! I feel like a total newb as I only did four extract batches back in the day and I am gearing up for a third batch this time around. I felt like I had to re-learn most of what I used to know. Hopefully, the kind folks here can help me ease back into it!

My wife loves the Red Banshee from Fort Collins Brewing here in Colorado. So, I would like to make something similar. I couldn't find any clone recipes online so I cobbled something together using the information on the website (i.e. wheat and crystal malts, with Willamette and Tetnanger hops). It is a hoppy red with a clean, crisp finish. Here is what I came up with:

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 3.5 gal
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
Bitterness (IBU): 32.4
Color (SRM): 15.4
ABV: 5.4%

[Grains]
Briess Golden 3.500lb Extract 43.8%
Wheat DME 3.000lb Extract 37.5%
Crystal 70-80L (British) 1.500lb Grain 18.8%

[Hops]
Centennial 1.00oz 9.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 24.2 IBU
Willamette 0.50oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 6.0 IBU
Willamette 0.50oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 2.2 IBU
Tettnanger 1.00oz 3.7% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

Some of my thinking behind th recipe:
With such low alphas, it would have taken a lot of hops to get up to the correct IBU, so I went with Centennial for bittering. I read that low alpha is good for dry hopping, so that is where the Tettnanger ended up. Used enough Crystal to approxiamate the color and chose Briess Golden because my LHBS has it in bulk and it is light.

Some of my questions:

1)My basement runs a consistent 64-66F, so it seems pretty good for ales. I currently have a smoked porter and after a slightly sluggish start it is bubbling away nicely and smells awesome. I used WY1728 Scottish Ale, so would that be a good choice again since it seems to be working so well down there?

2) I had no idea about the wheat content or the hop schedule. How do they look? Is that too much wheat? I've never used Willamette or Tettnanger hops, so I really didn't know what to do with them.

Thank you so much for any help or guidance. It is really exciting to be brewing!

Not sure if you have mastered this recipe yet, but here is mine..
it is real close, had some friends taste the two side by side..

This is an ALL GRAIN recipe, but can be converted to an extract easily..

Batch Size : 5.0 gal
Boil Volume : 6.52 gal
OG : 1.058
FG : 1.015
Bitterness (IBU) : 32.9
Color (SRM) : 21.8
ABV : 5.4 %

[Grains]
Pale Malt (2 Row) US 7.250 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt 120 UK 2.250 lb
Wheat, Flaked 1.500 lb
Honey 4.00 oz @ 10 min

[Hops]
Willamette 1.00 oz 5.5% AA Pellet @ First wort
Willamette 0.75 oz 5.5% AA Pellet @ 30 min
Willamette 0.25 oz 5.5% AA Pellet @ 15 min
Tettnang 1.00 oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 0 min, flame out

[Yeast]
White Labs #WLP002 English Ale

[Other]
Whirlfloc tablet

The Scottish Ale yeast is great for higher ABV ales and does add a good flavor, I have made this with the Scottish ale yeast, Thames Valley and the above yeast, the English Ale yeast was the closest to that slightly spicy taste of Red Banshee..

I am brewing this recipe this morning, as you have it. Looks good.
Except light on hops.(Used to IPAs)
Have these two hops growing in my garden.
Except: Using Wyeast #1187 Ringwood Ale

Back