Help with a old style ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StJamesGate

Reaction score
I brewed an old style ale that took bourbon and oak cubes in the secondary. It stayed in the secondary for one year and two weeks until I bottle yesterday. After I put the last cap on and stored I had second thoughts about my process. Should I have added more yeast at the end or will it carbonate like the usual product? Came out a very clear amber with just a hint of oak and bourbon. I used 5oz corn sugar.

Whoa, a whole year. I applaud your patients.

There will always be some yeast left in suspension, and it doesn't take much yeast to carb the beer. What temp was the secondary? Did you cold crash, how long?

How long will you bottle condition, temp?

I keep the house at 74. I did not cold crash as I don't have an extra fridge that is not packed with beer. I will bottle condition at 74 also and not sure how long it should go. I did all in bombers except 3-12oz. I will wait about 3-4 weeks and try one of the 12oz and see. my biggest fear is that it would be skunked or something wrong with it after being in there over a year. If it will just carbonate I think it will be the best I have ever done.

1+ year, and probably highish alcohol. It will take months to carb, if ever.

Yes, you should have added new yeast. You still can. Get a pack of cheap champagne yeast, uncap, add a couple of grains, and re-cap.

tried a bottle after three weeks conditioning. carbonated great, nice head that follows the liquid down the glass, slight hint of oak not overpowering. came out great.

With a beer that old, I would carb the beer with fresh wort and a cask yeast. Depending on the ABV, something like CBC-1 won't be bothered by high abv or low pH and would be ideal at 74F

Latest posts

Back