Help with a India drown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
I have tired a beer I love and can not find a clone recipe. It was India Brown Ale by Foothills in Winston-Salem, NC. The taste was, notes of citrus, pine, chocolate and toffee in the nose. Big citrus notes up front with sweet toffee, hints of chocolate and a citrusy, piney dryness in the finish. Does any one have a stellar IBA recipe that is similar in these characteristics? I have tried dogfish IBA and know there are recipies out there for it but I am not a fan of that beer.

I have tired a beer I love and can not find a clone recipe. It was India Brown Ale by Foothills in Winston-Salem, NC. The taste was, notes of citrus, pine, chocolate and toffee in the nose. Big citrus notes up front with sweet toffee, hints of chocolate and a citrusy, piney dryness in the finish. Does any one have a stellar IBA recipe that is similar in these characteristics? I have tried dogfish IBA and know there are recipies out there for it but I am not a fan of that beer.

Have you ever tried Tasty McDole's "Janet's Brown Ale"? That sounds similar to what you're describing, although it's not quite an IBA, more like a hoppy American brown. You could definitely use his malt bill and add some more late hops (simcoe, chinook) for the piney citrusy finish.

Yooper said:
Have you ever tried Tasty McDole's "Janet's Brown Ale"? That sounds similar to what you're describing, although it's not quite an IBA, more like a hoppy American brown. You could definitely use his malt bill and add some more late hops (simcoe, chinook) for the piney citrusy finish.

No I have not tried Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown Ale, but I do live less than 2 miles from the best beer Mecca in NC. http://samsquikshop.com/ I will see if they have it when I go tonight thanks for the advice.

I don't think JBA is available commercially. But I've had Foothills IBA and brewed the JBA and noted they are quite similar. If you want to try the JBA, brew it as is before tweaking. I think you'll find it a wonderful combination of rich malt flavor with intense hoppiness.

Back