Help with 5 amp fuse blowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I finished wiring my panel, and checking all wires. The 5 amp fuse is blowing whenever I hit the power button. Any ideas what would cause this? The schematic I used is below.

The old, incorrect schematic was removed to not cause confusion. The correct one is here.

so without turning anything on, you just turn power on and the fuse blow? sounds like a short to me...

if you have no load and you blow the fuse, it's wiring, do you have a multimeter?

this is what I would do, disconnect wires at pin 9 of the PID and power up and see if fuse blow ( you may want to go to autozone and buy a couple packs of fuses!)

ok leave pin 9 disconnect, and disconnect pin 6 and 8 at the timer ( if you want to save some fuses, remove the fuse and connect your multimeter with the red lead in the 10 amps plug and the end of the lead to one side of the fuse and the black lead to the other side so we can just read how many amps you're dragging)

disconnected wires 6 and 9 of timer and pump switches work, that did something

I just bought 3 packs of fuses

I also tried connecting the PID 9 wire back, the fuse did not blow when it was tested

disconnected 1,2, and 4 of the timer, reconnected the 6 and 9 of the timer, turned power on and the fuse blew

problem is at the 8 line, the internal of your timer don't match your schematic tho, but let's try something, ( hope you're not in a hurry, electrical problem can be time consuming!)

I have today, Monday and Tuesday off work, plenty of time, and thanks for helping me.

follow pin 8 on your schemati and disconnect ant pin 11 of the switch just on the right of the 5A fuse...

DAMN!
used wrong schematic, this was the updated one

IjWFAMq.jpg

Connected everything the way it should have been connected in the schematic above. Everything seems to work.

I had saved all version of the schematic that I had, assumed the newest one was the up-to-date one. I was wrong.

Thanks for you help!

Connected everything the way it should have been connected in the schematic above. Everything seems to work.

I had saved all version of the schematic that I had, assumed the newest one was the up-to-date one. I was wrong.

Thanks for you help!

I'm trying to figure out the diagram you posted in your thread starter (first post) There is something basically wrong with that diagram as the wire plan for the Auberin Timer JSL-71A is different than shown in the drawing. The terminal blocks appear to be flipped. Check it out. terminal #'s 10 & 5 should be on top. I cannot find a copy of the drawing you posted in my files. Could you please let me know the source you used so I can trace it back and fix the problem.

Please...

Edit & Note: After a lot of research I figured out the problem with the first diagram posted (and since deleted). The original was a diagram develeped for a very early version of the JSL-71 Easy Timer. The wiring plan for it was the one displayed in the original diagram (very old early version).

Here is the manual for that timer version: http://auberins.com/images/Manual/JSL-71.pdf

By the way that version is no longer available. The current products use the diagrams setup displayed in the posts now available in this thread.

So sorry for the confusion. It took me a while to figure out what happened and went wrong.

P-J

Latest posts

Back