help w/ choosing a natural gas configuration.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron4osu

Reaction score
I'm making the leap to all grain. i'm buying the stuff this week to put it together for my first brew this weekend. I've seen the hurricane burner in several homebrew supply catalogs. Williams brewing sells a NG conversion valve for the hurricane stove. Has anyone tried this? Does it have the power to bring 10 gal to a boil? Is this the best route to go with under or around $100? Are there better NG burners for this price?
i have a NG line outside already for our grill. I also have an extra, stainless steel type grill that i'm not using. I thought I might be able to strip what i need to convert the hurricane from prop to NG. If you think the hurricane is the way to go, can you go into a little more detail as to what you did for the conversion? Maybe some pics if it's not to much trouble.
Thanks, Aaron

I use the Hurricane burner, love it. Easily boils & maintains a vigorous 14 gallons in my keggle. The hurricane ng valve was a bit too much on the orifice size ( ran a bit sooty) for my system so I used a propane one and drilled a smaller orifice. I recommend that you buy both an NG & propane orifice/valve. If the NG one works well than you could always keep the other around in case you ever switch to propane (need reg for that as well). You can also drill out the propane valve in small increments to fine tune your system if you find that the Williams version is too big.

My conversion consists of flexible gas hose from HD ($40) & the valve/orifice. I have two burners mounted in my stand.

I use the Hurricane burner with NG at home and propane when traveling. I absolutely love it. It's as simple as screwing in a different orifice to go between propane and NG. Be careful 'stripping' what you need from other propane items. The hurricane needs low pressure propane so the regulator might not necessarily be right.

Best part about the hurricane? Whisper quiet.

Back