Help tweaking an English IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
For a while I've been looking to do an IPA that doesn't include the usual American hops, and came across NB's Spring Heeled Jack IPA Extract recipe. I've got the ingredients for it, but the gravity of 1.078 is much higher than what I'm looking for. They show this one settling at 1.022, which I think is higher than what I'll probably end up with - I get crazy attenuation here for reasons that I think have to do with climate and altitude. This one could end up north of 8 percent, rather than the roughly 6 percent I'm in the market for.

I notice this recipe has no crystal, which might be the result of higher gravity making it unnecessary, or perhaps the lower attenuation of Maris Otter syrup, which I've never worked with before.

What would folks recommend if I wanted to bring this ABV down on this one? If brought this down to 1.060, would it need a shot of crystal? I plan to use S04 (it's what I have onhand) and I'd like a relatively dry finish without it being os bitter that it removes tooth enamel. The recipe as it appears in Beersmith is below. Thoughts?

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %
Bitterness: 66.2 IBUs
Est Color: 10.6 SRM

5 lbs 7.1 oz Maris Otter Extract
1 oz East Kent Goldings [4.60 %] 60.0 min 12.7 IBUs
1 oz Nugget [13.00 %] 60.0 min 35.9 IBUs
2 oz East Kent Goldings [4.60 %] 20.0 min 14.4 IBUs
5 lbs 7.1 oz Maris Otter Extract
2 oz East Kent Goldings [4.60 %] 5.0 min 3.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023)
3.00 oz East Kent Goldings [4.6 %] Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Instead of using 11 pounds of extract, use less. Target your desired OG. If you want an OG of 1.060, target the IBUs to about 55. You can probably leave off the 60 minute EKGs, and reduce that extract and be all set.

Got it! Would you recommend adding crystal to the lower OG version of the recipe? Or does lower attenuation of the MO take care of that by itself?

Got it! Would you recommend adding crystal to the lower OG version of the recipe? Or does lower attenuation of the MO take care of that by itself?

No, not necessarily. The Maris otter extract has a great bready rich flavor. Some excellent IPAs about a pound of medium crystal malt in them, but just as many don't have crystal malt in them. I think that you may want to skip the crystal malt, and enjoy the flavor of the maris otter in this beer.

I think that you may want to skip the crystal malt, and enjoy the flavor of the maris otter in this beer.

Seconded. There is plenty of malt character to be had from maris otter alone, which tastes a lot better than crystal in an IPA... at least, I think it does.

Back