help stuck sparge pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello I made a pumpkin beer, with real pumpkin. Trying to sparge it got stuck horribly, how do I prevent this?

I did a pumpkin ale several months ago. Draining the mash, it got stuck RIGHT AWAY. I was at a loss but decided to just suck on the tube I was draining the mash tun through. I got a mouth full of pumpkin, but it flowed beautifully after that. Even the spargue water flowed like a charm. Not very professional but it worked for me! lol

At least it was preboil! OP, order rice hulls online next time you use pumpkin/oats/wheat/etc in a mash. You'll never have a stuck sparge again.

That was my thinking, too. "This will all get boiled so screw it, WE'RE GETTING THAT WORT OUT OF THERE!" lol

Put a grain bag on the end of the hose and sturr it. Probably will get lots of trub and lower effeiciency but that's probably all you can do at this point...

Latest posts

Back