Help strange off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
Hello I brewed a More beer extract kit Blonde 7lbs lme and 6 oz of honey malt and the kits 8 oz of 15 crystal. the beer is becoming a gusher and has a sweet flavor, not a sour. reminds me of a infected beer I had when I first started brewing. The brew shop says that the beer shouldn't be cloying with the extra honey malt. The original gravity was 10.51 final was 10.15 fermented at 65 degrees with sa 05. Is this beer likely to develop bottle bombs or will the off flavor subside it has been bottled for 2 weeks. I really tried to be clean and sanitary and am at a loss where I could have failed. I don't use a bottling bucket instead use the primary carboy to the bottle. What does a cloying beer taste like and what does oxidized beer taste like? I have had a Beir muncher porter earlier and it was pretty good at only three weeks in the bottle and several other brews so please forgive my crazy typing or thought process.:tank:

I know this has been a minute since posting, but cloyingly sweet to me is like tasting a spoon full of sugar or the level of sweet that makes you sick from too much candy. Oxidation is like paper, cardboard, or some type of muting of the beer. I will tell you that most types of oxidations result in a muting of the flavor instead of papery or cardboard. Think of a pony keg of bud that was drank a few days after a party. Paper and cardboard are pretty unmistakable. How id your beer turn out?

I think the beer was not finished fermenting and you had a lot of yeast in the bottles. How'd you portion out the priming sugar if you didn't use a bottling bucket?

I mix the priming sugar in boiled water a cup or so and the stir it in the carboy and let it sit 15 minutes or so. The beer had a infection that didn't make bombs but it did eat all fermentables after a month there was very little flavor and no carbonation also. I don't have a clue what it was but I drank some of it and It didn't seem to hurt me .:)

Latest posts

Back