Help selecting equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David w moore

Reaction score
Hello all. Looking for some advice. I have very little brewing experience. Ok, the only expirience I have is an ex whose family used to brew wine in 2 litter bottles with balloons on top.

I saw an ad for the catalyst conical fermenter home brew kit. I tried to do some research and quickly found choice of equipment is controversial. I also found myself lost as i left the absolute basic stuff and started seeing posts from people who have dedicated refrigerators and could open their own breweries.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on a good starter set. I would like to brew a stout and maybe some cider. My wife would love to make some meed.

Thank you greatly for your help.

Assuming you have nothing at all, I would look at some starter kits on Morebeer.com (my preferred online vendor), Northern Brewer, etc. and see what their starter kits consist of...then I'd go straight to craigslist and facebook market place and see what people are selling, you can probably find everything you need used for dirt cheap to get started.

This kit from Morebeer is probably the most complete, and one of the best values, available for folks who are starting from scratch. There is everything needed to start brewing and nothing that can’t be used in the future if the beginner wants to advance beyond the basics.

The suggestion to see what’s available locally on Craigslist, or similar, is a good one. Although, given the current situation, prices for used brewing equipment might actually go up. Being able to acquire beer without having to leave the house is starting to look more attractive to some folks, if some recent posts on this board are any indication.

Just buy a beginners kit from one of the on-line stores, and an extract beer kit. Follow the instructions as best you can (come here for any advice or help understanding the instructions), and in a few weeks you will have beer.

Don't go for real expensive stuff straight away as you may decide it is not for you. If you graduate to more expensive equipment, or to all-grain, most of what you get in the beginners kit will still be used (it may have another purpose).

Get the dry yeast with the beer kit - it is simpler to use than liquid yeast for a first-timer. Get an ale kit, not a lager.

Things need to be clean and sanitized, but no need to be anal about it, I've put my 'clean' hand and arm in the fermenter to get something that dropped in before without an issue.

Although, given the current situation, prices for used brewing equipment might actually go up

This is a very salient point, even online vendors are starting to run low on ingredients and equipment. Not to mention local homebrew shops are closed. I've noticed alot of kettles and fermenters are out of stock and on back order, kits and grains are also low from different vedors. I'd get the equipment while you can if you are seriously interested in starting the hobby.

Don't go for real expensive stuff straight away as you may decide it is not for you. If you graduate to more expensive equipment, or to all-grain, most of what you get in the beginners kit will still be used (it may have another purpose).

Good advice! I finally retired my first fermenter bucket after 10 years of use and have replaced the racking cane with an autosiphon. I would still be using the same hydrometer except my original committed suicide by falling onto the floor. It doesn't take expensive equipment to make good beer. It may take expensive equipment to impress bystanders.

I am also very new to brewing. I started with a very basic kit. I have added a wart chiller and secondary fermenter, also a few testing and stirring tools. Next will be an outdoor propane burner and large kettle.

Morebeer is offering free shipping which will help keep your costs down and I would assume that should apply to starter kits. Some online retailers exclude some large bulky items with lower margins from free shipping so always check. Remember unless you have a ton of cash, start slow with only the essentials and once the Brewing Bug bites hard you will go nuts like a lot of us with tons of goodies and gadgets.

When selecting a boil kettle, whether included in a kit or not, decide whether you will be doing a full boil (starting with around six gallons) or a partial boil (starting with around 2.5 gallons). Most stoves can't handle a full boil, so you would need some other heat source, like a turkey fryer. Most stoves can handle a partial boil - I don't know about smooth-top stoves.

I think most brewers these days would discourage using a secondary fermenter, so if this is included in a kit it's probably wasted money.

Edit for clarification

Last edited:
Morebeer is offering free shipping which will help keep your costs down and I would assume that should apply to starter kits.

Don't go with Morebeer just because of the free shipping. Morebeer increases their prices to allow them to offer free shipping ..... nothing comes for free. They may have the best package, but check other places before going with them.

When selecting a boil kettle, whether included in a kit or not, decide whether you will be doing a full boil (starting with around six gallons) or a partial boil (starting with around 2.5 gallons). Most stoves can't handle a full boil, so you would need some other heat source, like a turkey fryer. Most can handle a partial boil - I don't know about smooth-top stoves.

I think most brewers these days would discourage using a secondary fermenter, so if this is included in a kit it's probably wasted money.

I would recommend a 5 gallon as a minimum kettle size for stove-top brewing. Most stoves can boil about 4 gallons. Getting a smaller pot will only mean you buy a bigger one in the future. The big pot can be used for Crab Legs and Lobsters too.

I disagree on the secondary fermenter. I think you will find it will be useful to have.

Back