Help rescue a high gravity, low IBU beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Looking for some help to see if I'm thinking in the right direction here. My buddy brewed an all-grain Stone Levitation Ale clone, intended to be around 1.048 OG and 45 IBU. Long story very short, he planned for really bad efficiency like he got on his first AG brew so he added 3 lbs of grain. Turns out he got around 80% efficiency this time, so now the beer is 1.072 OG. This is going to be a very unbalanced beer, very low IBU for the much high gravity. So my idea is to do a hop tea. Boiling 1oz of Simcoe in 1 gallon of water for 10 minutes would give about 20 IBU overall. This would add IBU, and the zero gravity would dilute it down to around 1.060 OG. Does this make sense? Has anyone tried something like this?

Looking for some help to see if I'm thinking in the right direction here. My buddy brewed an all-grain Stone Levitation Ale clone, intended to be around 1.048 OG and 45 IBU. Long story very short, he planned for really bad efficiency like he got on his first AG brew so he added 3 lbs of grain. Turns out he got around 80% efficiency this time, so now the beer is 1.072 OG. This is going to be a very unbalanced beer, very low IBU for the much high gravity. So my idea is to do a hop tea. Boiling 1oz of Simcoe in 1 gallon of water for 10 minutes would give about 20 IBU overall. This would add IBU, and the zero gravity would dilute it down to around 1.060 OG. Does this make sense? Has anyone tried something like this?

I used a hop tea once on my "Crash Test Dummy" batch. It worked. It was a light beer and I wish I had gone a tad heavier with the hops.

You might use more hops and split it 1/2 at twenty minutes and half at like 3minutes to flame-out.

There seems to be some concern about how much water is used. How many gallons of wort did he retrieve?

Back