Help!Quick! My mash pH too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
After reading my pH on a calibrated meter my wort pH is 4.88. I was shooting for 5.2 and added all the salts and lactic acid that Bru n Water told me to to get 5.2. Should I add a tsp of baking soda to my now boiling wort?

yeah at room temp. I'm gonna take my post boil pH and see what happened. I'll scratch this one off as an experiment.

Do nothing. (probably late in the thread anyway)

Make adjustments next brew. Less acid than your software's algorithm indicates.

This of course assumes your meter is accurate, gives stable readings and is correctly calibrated at two points bracketing the mash pH range on brew-day.

BTW. Try adding CaCo3 to water. It doesn't disolve readily. Takes days to react. Learned that the wrong way. It is entirely unsuited to home-brewing.

Don't let AJ or Martin hear you talk about adding CaCO3 :) I usually go with pickling lime to raise pH. Just be sure to add it after dough in.

Just want to add that the pH you're shooting for (5.2-5.4 at room temp) is for mashing purposes, to get a more efficient mash. You asked about adding baking soda to your boiling wort - but by this point, we don't care about the pH (relatively speaking). The only salts you should be adding to the boil are for taste purposes (left-overs from the mash - that is, salts you wish to add for taste but that would have driven the pH of the mash too low if you would have added them). The purpose of adding baking soda as mentioned is to drive up a low mash pH. If the mash is done, then there is no need to add baking soda for these purposes.

For example, when I make my recipe I decide what I want the salt concentrations to be (approximately), and then I plug all that into a water calculator (you mentioned Bru'n, I prefer Brewer's Friend). I first add all my salt additions to the "Mash" section to see how it will affect my pH. If it's too low, I move portions of the salts to the "Boil" section (this way they don't go into the mash and thus don't affect pH). If I've moved all salt additions to the boil (none in the mash) and the mash pH is still low, that's the only time I'd add baking soda to the mash.

If my mash pH was OK, there would be no need for baking soda and thus you wouldn't add any to the boil.

Great thanks everyone. I've gone back through the water book and read up on things again. My mash pH was 4.88. I did not take a preboil pH reading, but my final wort pH going into fermenter is 5.1. I guess a little low but not horrible.

I'm sure Martin or AJ will end up chiming in, but I thought that during the boil, the pH of the wort would drop slightly, not rise, which leads me to believe there's something wrong with your measurements.

And calcium carbonate is worthless for adjusting the mash. I use sodium bicarbonate (because unlike calcium carbonate, it actually dissolves), but pickling lime works too.

+1

Absolutely right.

Casts major question mark over your mash reading.

This is an excerpt from the braukaisers page on pH and brewing.

During boiling the pH drops by about 0.1 – 0.2 pH units from 5.3 – 5.5 pH to about 5.2 – 5.3 pH. This may be due to the addition of bitter acids from the hops, formation of acidic Maillard products, precipitation of alkaline phosphates or the reaction of polypeptides with calcium, liberating protons [Briggs, 2004].

I'm wondering if I messed up my first calibration or if my probe is going out. This upcoming January will mark 1 year on this probe so maybe I'll ask for a new one for Xmas. I'm going to assume my first measurement was wrong, and that in fact I hit my target pH. At least I'll keep telling myself that so I sleep better.

I'm sure it is. And maybe "fine" beer is all you need; it was sufficient for me for a while when I was a new brewer. But for most of us, we want great beer. And that can only be consistently achieved by hitting a desired mash pH.

This.

I won't settle for "fine" or "drinkable" or even "good". World class, top notch commercial quality (and better than that), or bust. You will never reach that level without dealing with mash pH.

Latest posts

Back