Help, quick feedback on starter before i pitch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So my starter looks a little wacky. I think its from the left over bubbles from the star san during sanitation but dont want to pitch this if its bad. There is spill over which i have not had from past starters. Does this look ok? I am kind of afraid to pitch it?

33212220244_79f5fd96f4_k.jpg

33212219784_0803e3e265_k.jpg

Well I pitched it but worried it was infected. There was some stuff stuck to the bottom inside of the flask and what looked like some bunched up blobs inside. And gunk at the top inside of the flask. Hope I did not just throw some big $$ down the drain.

The blobs were yeast. You didn't say what yeast it was but most likely one of the more flocculant strains.

WY1318. Just weird. 3rd starter I have made with that yeast and looked different. Oh well let's see how it goes. :mug:

Was this a starter from a fresh pack? Or ranched from a previous starter or harvested from a previous batch?

In the first case, if you didn't do anything to infect it, it should be good right?
Did you lose much? 1.6-2 liter starters are more common.

This was a 1 liter starter. It was new pack. However the never went off so I opened that and poured in as I was pitching it into the starter.

Glad I pitched, woke up today to the wonderful sound of bubbles! It's on.

Latest posts

Back