Help plan my first series of lagers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG_IBU_Bunghole

Reaction score
1) I would like to brew 3-5 lagers over the winter without using a fermentation or lagering chamber. I can get reasonably accurate temps by moving around carboys and cornies.

2) Want to start by Thanksgiving. I don't plan to drink them during winter and my basic understanding of lagers is that they benefit from long term aging (and traditionally brewed for certain months).

3) I like all styles of beers and would like to make a variety of lagers. (except no interest in IPL this time)

4) Extract & using as many ingredients I have on hand as possible.
US Saaz, US Golding, US Northern Brewer, US Magnum [& Cascade & Centennial :confused:]
Light DME
Saflager 34/70

5) Process will be as simple as possible but include a diacetyl rest. I plan to reuse yeast cakes at least once (dry yeast, no starters)

Since you've brewed a bunch of lagers and read the books, can you suggest a game plan to get me started this year??? I will read the books later :)

Pitch at 46, ferment at 50-52 for 12-14 days, D Rest if needed, lager around 32 as long as you can stand. Steady temps are key as well as pitching a TON of yeast (use Mr. Malty or Brewers Friend calculators). If you're looking for styles, I'd start with a bock or dopplebock since those would take the longest. I'd also look at a munich dunkel and a oktoberfest. Since you're doing extract and water isn't as important I'd look at a pils or helles as well. Good luck and keep us updated!:mug:

Remember that lagers require about twice the number of yeast cells as a comparable ale. That means pitching 2-3 rehydrated 11g packets for all except the lightest gravity batches. If you're going to harvest and re-pitch, you've got to treat that as liquid yeast and either bubble O2 in the wort or aerate the heck out of it.

Thanks for the advice.

Here's what I did for the first recipe:
5.5gal
2.5gal boil
6lbs pilsen DME
1oz magnum @ 60min
1oz US saaz @ 15min
.5oz US saaz @5min
.5oz US saaz @flameout
1pkt Saflager W-34/70

Gonna repitch a bock type beer on that yeast cake (and shake "the heck of out it") figuring that will be enough cells. Krausen definitely looks different than an ale and instead of the snow globe effect there are bazillions of tiny bubbles rising up the sides. Cool. :)

Back