help pick a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
so i have two batches under my belt and im starting to think a little bit long term. I go to a car show every year with a bunch of friends the first weekend of June. i would like to brew up a batch for the show, problem is just about every one that goes is a coors light/labatte light fan. i would like to make something with a little kick too it but i dont want to be the only one willing to drink it. give me some ideas on a crowd pleaser, it has to be an extract and be ready to drink in about 3 months time.

so i have two batches under my belt and im starting to think a little bit long term. I go to a car show every year with a bunch of friends the first weekend of June. i would like to brew up a batch for the show, problem is just about every one that goes is a coors light/labatte light fan. i would like to make something with a little kick too it but i dont want to be the only one willing to drink it. give me some ideas on a crowd pleaser, it has to be an extract and be ready to drink in about 3 months time.

If they're coors light drinkers, you may not find anything that pleases them. My friends are Corona drinkers, but very open to other beers so I make many different styles and they like them. Sometimes BMC drinkers like Kolsch or cream ale, and sometimes a "lighter" darker colored beer (like an English brown Newcastle type) will be ok.

I'd say a blonde ale or a cream ale would be the most likely to be drunk. Maybe not appreciated, but they'd drink it. My own dad told me that my cream ale recipe is "almost as good as MGD". I went out and bought a case of MGD- it's way cheaper and he liked it better anyway.

I can usually convert them with a Kolsch, but according so style guidelines it shouldn't get over 5.2%, so not too sure about the kick. If you want to be a little daring try a Schwarzbier, litterally "black lager". Looks like a porter/stout by color, but is really a lager. You'll need to be able to lager, not sure if you're interested in that yet.

My wife is a Coors light drinker and she liked my Midwest Kolsch I just finished.

It is very smooth.

Since it is an ale you are well within the time limit.

they are open to other beers, usually lighter stuff like previously mentioned. i do know they will drink rolling rock, yingling, blue moon. im probably going to do a hef/wheat but also wanted to do something with a little more punch to it than that.

I stopped drinking Mass Market Of the shelf beers like Coors Lite, Bud etc etc years ago. I've forgoten what their flavor profile is and what the taste and after taste is like.

However having just served several ("BEER") friends, the Alt Bier I made in Dec is a crowd pleaser. It's got a nice nip on the front end with a nice aroma, and finnish is smooth with not a lick of any after taste. It's not realy strong at 5.2 ABV.

If they like Blue Moon you could try a wit. The presentation is not always the best with the cloudiness, but then again so is BM so maybe that'd work for you. They're really easy to make(just made my first) just make sure you get fresh coriander and orange peel. In Randy Mosher's book "Radical Brewing" he recommended zesting Seville oranges if you can find them. Then again you would probably do just fine with LHBS spice with a fresh wit yeast. My wit I have going now will be ~6% ABV. Not sure if that's the "kick" you're looking for but it's still more than BMC!

I have similar friends, I gave them all Belgian WitBier (Kit) and they were shocked. The loved it. I think the fruity nose was enough to overcome tasting hops for the first time...

I have similar friends, I gave them all Belgian WitBier (Kit) and they were shocked. The loved it. I think the fruity nose was enough to overcome tasting hops for the first time...

I love the "shock" that first time homebrew drinkers have. I can talk to them about it 'til I'm blue in the face, but you can't mistake that puzzled "this doesn't taste like it'll make me go blind" look on EVERY one of their faces after the first sip.

Back