Help on Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Chevelle

Reaction score
So I am slowly upgrading my equipment. I am still going to do my boil with a gas fired propane burner, however i am going electric on my Mash so I can control it better. I was initially going to build a recirculating heating coil like built in this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576741

Then i started thinking, in the long run a I am going to build a Kal type clone. I have a 1/2 copper coil I was using as an immersion chiller before I switched to a counterflow chiller so I have a coil. I have a 7.5 gallon stainless pot from an old turkey fryer. So I want to go ahead and make a HLT that I will heat with an electric element. I have a 220v source from an old hot tub that I scrapped so it is already on a GFCI. and is 50 amp circuit. My question and where i need help is, Will the small 12v pumps be sufficient for running a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute sparge? Has anyone else used them before. I just don't want to but them and waste $50 when they fail after 1 brew, I really dont want to buy 2 pumps either !!

Last edited:
I use a 1/2" x 50' coil and I have a low flow with my chugger pump. I don't know anything about those little cheapy pumps.
If you equip everything with QDs or Camlock fittings, valves, and are willing to move hoses around you only need one pump.

Latest posts

Back