Help needed with mash tun (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
So I'm converting my Colman square cooler into a mash tun using a bazooka screen.

My existing home is 1" and I have a 3/8 nipple going through and the old rubber washer on the inside (pic) into the screen.

There is a "slight" leak on it presumably from the inside washer being pulled in (pic). Not even a drop really....

I'm going to use it for a mash but what would you do to keep it from pulling in so tight? I have to tighten it somewhat otherwise I get huge leaks.

Any help you can give would be great. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426454284.341601.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426454297.838895.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426454312.559998.jpg

Cut the outside hole in the blue plastic large enough so that your sealing against the inner and outer surfaces of the inner white plastic. Right now you're trying to seal against the outer surfaces of the white and blue plastic and the foam in between doesn't provide enough structural integrity.

My mash tun is the same way, little drop here and there. First time I used it to mash, I had no leaks whatsoever. 3 batches after that, still no more leaking.

I concur with microbus, you are trying to clamp the washers against the 2 plastic pieces with foam in the middle. Cut the blue outer (easiest with a hole saw) and remove the foam so you are only clamping your fitting against both sides of the white inner plastic wall. You will be able to get a good seal much easier.

Using thick heat resistant o-rings from an auto supply store works well. Even with a high mash temp they don't get soft.

Cut the outside hole in the blue plastic large enough so that your sealing against the inner and outer surfaces of the inner white plastic. Right now you're trying to seal against the outer surfaces of the white and blue plastic and the foam in between doesn't provide enough structural integrity.

Damn! Simple but brilliant. Why did I not think of this years ago... :drunk:

What I did when I had a slight leak was buy a silicon baking mat ($8 on Amazon) and cut a gasket out of that. Coupled with a stainless 5/8 Washer on the inside, and everything was good.

I was using a 3/8 nipple in an Igloo beverage cooler, and the hole was just a bit too big, cutting the gasket just small enough to fit around the nipple but with a big enough face to seal with the washer made all of the difference.

A stainless steel washer on the inside will do the trick. I could only find a stainless washer big enough on Amazon.

Easy fix

Back