Help needed with a possible stuck beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallahasseeBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian honey ale kit from my lhbs. It has a target og of 1.080, which I hit on the nose. Kit had 4 pounds of light lme, a pound of candi sugar, 2 pounds of honey, some spices (it is a "private stock" kit so I dont know what kind), and specialty grains (again, didnt say what). Its been at 1.020 sg for a week. It may be normal, idk. Im 90 percent sure it used s 05 yeast, but not certain. Kit was brewed January 11th fwiw.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

Ok, so after thinking of it, it does have nearly 7.5% abv, so it may be normal, just that sg seems high

Sometimes honey is a little bit problematic. I do beers with 2 lb of honey and they take a full 3-4 weeks to ferment all the way out. I tried to rush one a while back and ended up with bottle bombs so you really have to be patient.

Without knowing how much yeast you pitched I recommend swirling the fermenter a bit to rouse the yeast and try to get things going. Also, can increase the fermenter temperature by a few degrees to see if that helps. Be prepared to have this in the fermenter till mid February before it is done. Right now you are at 75% apparent attenuation so you are likely about done but it could creep down a few more points.

I was gonna let it go for a while anyway, probably bottle or keg it end of February. I pitched one packet of yeast, bit I'll give it a swirl. It tastes good, so at least theres that. Thanks for the advice

Did the kit or your LHBS say what the FG should be? Most of my beers stall out around 1.020. I haven't had an issue with bottle bombs. If it has been there for a week, bottle it.

Did the kit or your LHBS say what the FG should be? Most of my beers stall out around 1.020. I haven't had an issue with bottle bombs. If it has been there for a week, bottle it.

as much as i do like my LHBS, i do find their kits to be lacking in the instruction department. They don't list the target FG or ABV usually. for this kit they did say 8% abv, and this is at almost 7.5 so I do think it is ok, but i'll ask them tomorrow, i do need to go get some more beverage tubing.

Back