Help needed on my BrewPi Spark RIMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxp073

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am attempting to move to a RIMS system, and, although it is still in development, I am going to use the BrewPi spark to control it.

Now, I want this system to be BASIC. I don't want large control panels, etc, and this is why I wanted to use the BrewPi. All I want is the Spark, a electrical box to house a relay, and the wire from my wall outlet to the element (which will flow through the relay)

If you aren't familiar with the BrewPi, check it out at BrewPi.com - it's currently used for fermentation, but they are actively working on a mashing system. The main thing outstanding is PWM control. At present, the system does have a temperature overshoot algorithm, which has learning capabilities so it is similar to a PID without the PWM capability at present. Please note that the model I am using is the SPARK - the new version, which is described near the bottom of the website.

My main concerns are as follows:

1) I am experienced with plumbing and basic electricity, but some peoples setups are so advanced that I am getting slightly worried that I am out of my depth. I have a 3kw element (LWD) that has a grounding screw. Is this sufficient for grounding the unit?

2) I posted this in a different thread, so apologies - but I wanted to start a thread dedicated to my build. The element slightly touches the edge of the tube. What impact will this have, if any? Do I need to bend it somehow? I am worried that I will break the element, and if it is not becessary I would rather not do it. The element is SS.

3) when splicing in the relay for the element, is neutral better or hot? I was under the impression that hot is the right wire. Can this be confirmed?

4) any safety tips for rims? My house circuits are all RCD (British equivalent of GFCI). I like brewing but I don't want to kill myself doing it!

I am really hoping you guys can help me through this, as I think it will be a really interesting project.

Thanks

The BrewPI system also caught my eye, maybe it was the color touch screen! It is a nice combination of an open source project and a controller with interface . There is an extensive thread on building your own on this site which should be helpful in troubleshooting your system but not sure if it covers control extensions.

A diagram of your proposed schematic would be helpful in determining suitability and safety. I am not familiar with your countries' wiring system but am confident that someone on this site will.

Thanks for the reply - I guess, to be honest, I'm a little nervous about the RIMS setup in general. Part of me tells me that it's as easy as wiring a plug end, another tells me there is something I'm missing.

The tube in using can be found on homebrewbuilder.co.uk - the 3kw element can also be found there if that's any help.

I looked at their website and liked the idea that you can buy the RIMS tube, element, and temp probe from a single source. The element description didn't give any connection info, probably something that is included in shipping package. If you have an electronic copy of the installation manual I'll take a look

No connection info - just three terminals - two side by side (hot and neutral) and the other top centre (ground)

Back