Help!! need information on how a typical glycol beer tower is piped in the head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2dive9702

Reaction score
Hello all.

As some of you know I have been having a demons time with this beer tower.

I have done a temp test and have determined that the soda is climbing 6 degrees between the keg and the glass.

I am also having problems with the flow rate. (I need to run 1/8" lines, but the pipes in the tower are 5/16)

So here is my question.

At the head of the tower (where the shanks screw in) is there a just a cooling pipe for the lines, or is the head what they call a wet head/ submersed head with the product lines running thru the center surrounded by glycol.

How do you determine if it is a wet head or a dry head with a cooling tube?

The reason I am asking is because if it is a dry head, I was thinking of pulling the 5/16 SS lines, remove the existing taps, and run my perlicks into the tower, and run a new ss tube or 3/16 Ultra 235 to the back side.

I don't want to break any seals if it is a wet head causing a glycol leak in the soda.

Currently the tubes are bunched together and run into the tower. I can not see all the way to the head to determine if it is a loop or wet head.

Any ideas???

Back