HELP! My stc100 controller failed during primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummbeer

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need quick advice. I have a brew French with an STC 1000 temperature controller that went crazy. Brewing a Brewers best German wheat which had four days of aggressive fermentation before the controller drop the temperature down to 32° overnight. Will the beer still survive or do I have to re-pitch the yeast.

The beer will survive. You can finish it off by putting it in a large bucket of water (like a TOTE) and use ice to keep the temperature down. Has krausen dropped already?

The temp was supposed to be 70 and the Krausen dropped before this occurred. I opened up the fridge before leaving for work.

Then I believe you're very okay. Initial fermentation is done. I'd still temp control myself as I do for about 10-14 days (or longer if needed), but I think the failure isn't going to jeopardize your beer. If it had to fail, it kind of failed at a good time.

I hope your right, is there any way to test the beer before going thru the bottling process?

I hope your right, is there any way to test the beer before going thru the bottling process?

Like test to make sure fermentation is done? Hydrometer reading
Or test for taste? Hydrometer reading and taste the sample

Take a hydrometer sample, if you have a ways to go warm up the fermentor, maybe give a gentle swirl, and chances are good it will kick back up again.

If it's done, you did a nice cold crash and you can bottle/keg.

Like test to make sure fermentation is done? Hydrometer reading
Or test for taste? Hydrometer reading and taste the sample

Agreed. If you haven't been taste testing before/at bottling time, just keep in mind, warm, flat, non-conditioned beer doesn't taste like the final result.

That said, you will notice any really bad off tastes pre-bottling.

Of course some of that clears up. Example, I just thiefed some from my Belgian single. It smells like satan's chamber pot. Man the sulphur that WLP500 is putting out. The sample tasted off too, probably from the extra H2S being produced.

Sulphur will fade though. Just by this morning the aroma has dropped to what I would describe as noticable, but not overpowering levels of sulphur. I'd half bet it'll have completely dissipated in another week or two.

An IPA and a Steambeer both had an odd strong fruit taste to them, possibly Aceldelhyde (but didn't quite taste like it from absolutely everything I have read up on it). With the Steambeer that "off", but not entirely unpleasant flavor dimished to not being able to be noticed after about 3 1/2wks. My IPA seems to be on target for the same (though it is only 2 1/2wks post bottling at this point).

Agreed. If you haven't been taste testing before/at bottling time, just keep in mind, warm, flat, non-conditioned beer doesn't taste like the final result.

That said, you will notice any really bad off tastes pre-bottling.

Of course some of that clears up. Example, I just thiefed some from my Belgian single. It smells like satan's chamber pot. Man the sulphur that WLP500 is putting out. The sample tasted off too, probably from the extra H2S being produced.

Sulphur will fade though. Just by this morning the aroma has dropped to what I would describe as noticable, but not overpowering levels of sulphur. I'd half bet it'll have completely dissipated in another week or two.

An IPA and a Steambeer both had an odd strong fruit taste to them, possibly Aceldelhyde (but didn't quite taste like it from absolutely everything I have read up on it). With the Steambeer that "off", but not entirely unpleasant flavor dimished to not being able to be noticed after about 3 1/2wks. My IPA seems to be on target for the same (though it is only 2 1/2wks post bottling at this point).

Ya, and Ive noticed it can work in reverse as well. I had a black IPA I brewed months ago. Took a sample at the end of fermentation and it tasted awesome! Couldnt wait to get it in and back out of the bottles. Opened the first bottle... Oxygenated. Dont know how, or when but it did. It did clear up over time though. That being said, patience can really help

Thanks for the quick responces and tips everyone, I'll give an update as soon as something changes

Back