Help modifying a 12 point 13/16" socket for pin lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman_

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a pin lock socket from a deep shift 13/16" socket by cutting a few slots with a dremel, however I was only able to get a 12 point socket rather than a 6 point socket at my local Lowes (there was a normal length six point one but not a deep one)

What I was wondering was if anybody has any suggestions about how to align the 12 point socket so that I properly cut the slots for the pins. I tried to place the socket over the post on my keg but the pins prevent me from properly orienting the socket.

Hopefully this is clear! (although I have a feeling it is might be confusing) thanks for any help

I'd think you could work from a picture like this one.

0003275_pin_lock_socket_tool.jpeg

The pattern looks pretty much like a "peace sign".
If you look closely, all four cuts correspond to high points (the corners of what would be the nut)...

Cheers!

[edit] This only works with a 12-point socket, so you chose wisely :)

Thanks for the response, that is exactly the information that I am looking for! Going to try and make the cuts tomorrow, hopefully everything works out well.

When I made mine, I just put the socket over the post, marked where the pins hiit it and started cutting.

fwiw, I'd do the pair of straight cuts for the gas post first, test that, then do the other two cuts for the beer post.
I'd chuck the socket in a bench vise between a couple of scrap soft pine pieces and use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, but I suspect a bastard file would do the job - much slower...

Cheers!

It looks like you could cut 6 slots and not worry about alignment problems?

I have 20 pin locks and only ever used an open end wrench...

I would never be able to successfully use an open ended wrench on the one I've got. I tried it when I first got it and could not get enough leverage without worrying about shearing the pins off if it slipped.

Thread related... I ended up putting the socket on the best I could and marked the location of the pins with a sharpie. Then used a cutoff wheel in my Dremel to cut the slots. Checking fit as often as I could.

I ended up putting the socket on the best I could and marked the location of the pins with a sharpie. Then used a cutoff wheel in my Dremel to cut the slots. Checking fit as often as I could.

I did the same exact thing. It worked. Unless you have a lot more metalworking ability this seems to be the easiest way to make this tool.

Back