Help me with my recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukmay

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying that I've been lurking HBT for the last six months. I'd just like to tip my hat to the community here; you guys and gals do a great job of teaching newbies such as myself, testing some of the long-used (and often not needed) brewing techniques, and also having a damn good time of it. I, for one, appreciate everything you guys do for the brewing community as a whole. Can't thank you enough HBT!

Well, now that I'm done buttering you up... Help me with this recipe!

I've learned a lot about brewing over the last six months but there are some definite deficiencies in my learning I was hoping someone could clear up.

Recipe:

Irish Red Ale -- (Based on NB Kit)

Malts:
7.5lbs 2-Row
0.75lbs Carapils
0.25lbs Special Roast
0.125lbs Biscuit Malt
0.125lbs Chocolate Malt

Hops:
1.0oz Wiliamette 60min
1.0oz Kent Goldings 30min

Yeast:
WL004 Irish Ale

Mash at 153F for 60min (Thickness - 1.5qt/lb)
Strike with 3.3 Gal of 165F
Sparge with 4.5 Gal of 170F (~176F if no mash-out)
Mash-out - ??? See Q-2
Predicted OG of 1.051 (EE ~80%)
Predicted FG of 1.015
Yeast to be propagated from White Labs vial (Exp: 05/13/11) in 1L of 1.040 starter on stir plate for 24hr prior to pitching.
Fermentation Temperature - 65F

Sounds good, right?

But....it's my first beer with a water report!

Dun Dun Dun....

My water is as follows:
(All values are ppm)

pH - 8.0
Na - 33
K - 2
Ca - 23
Mg - 5
Total Hardness CaCO3 - 78
SO4- 30
Cl - 46
HCO3 - 43
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 43

CL:SO4 is 1.5
Est. pH of mash - 5.5

First Question: Should I adjust my water for this beer?

My first thought was to add 1g of CaSO4 and 3g of CaCl in addition to 2 oz of sauermalz.

Giving me:
Est pH of mash - 5.3
Cl:SO4 of 1.94
Cl - 95
SO4 - 49
Ca - 58

Is this really an improvement? Will there be a difference in the final product?
How important is Ca++ in my beer? Is pH adjustment really needed? I've never had problems before...

Question Two: I was thinking about trying to develop a more malty flavor in this beer as can be seen from the water above.

If I were to do some sort of pseudo-decoction where at the end of the mash I took an amount of the mash out, boiled it, and added it back to reach mash-out temps would there be any difference in the character of my beer? How much mash do I remove? Is it non-vorlauf'ed runnings or thick mash?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jesse

Adding calcium is a good idea. I would simply add gypsum to your water for this beer. As a UK pale ale (which is really what Irish Red is) your hop profile should be supported by a higher SO4 number than Cl. Just add gypsum to get your Ca+ up to about 75ppm and the SO4 will be fine where it lands. Re the grain bill my advice would be to simplify it a tad. Use UK pale if you can and if so drop the biscuit. If using the domestic pale keep the biscuit and bump it to 1/4 lb or more. The CaraPils is optional, if using I would drop it to 1/2 lb. Ditch the special roast and chocolate and replace with one ounce of roasted barley. The IBUs aren't listed but I would shoot for 30-35 with the listed OG of 1.051. Just do a single infusion mash here at a 150/152F temp and don't worry about anything fancy.

Back