Help me understand the conical. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Z

Reaction score
My understanding is that in some (most?) instances leaving a beer on the yeast longer can be beneficial, or at least not hurt it.
Is there a difference between leaving the wort on the yeast in a conical vrs. a carboy (more surface area for it to interact or something)?
Finally how does that all jive with (my understanding of) The Vessel's claim that its bulb system minimizes dead yeast exposure to the wort prefenting off flavors? is their set up mainly for wine?

thanks

cz

There's no difference in leaving the beer on the yeast in a conical vs the carboy. The greatest benefit of a conical is that you can do ALL your brewing from that one piece of equipment. Once you feel the need to dump the yeast, you don't have to rack the beer anywhere... you just dump the bottom layer of yeast out from the bottom of the conical. Now you essentially have a clearing tank. You can also bottle from the conical or keg, which ever you prefer.

I'm not sure about the bulb system though... perhaps someone can clue us in on that one.

Methinks the poster is reffering to the V-Vessel.

And the capsule, as I understand it, is meant more for harvesting the yest for re-use.

http://newstore.vvessel.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVS002

It's an interesting system with one main flaw. It's plastic and prolly useless as a bright tank. I like the wall bracket tho' looks like it'd fit nicely into an upright fridge.

I've seen a few reviews of the V-vessel. they weren't very positive. over priced is its biggest negative.

The idea behind the V-Vessel bulb is that you don't introduce oxygen into the fermenter when removing the yeast. With a conical, oxygen flows into the top while the yeast/trub flows out the bottom. The V-Vessel just closes a valve and removes the yeast; no introduction of O2 into the top.

Above from reading, not from experience; I considered a purchase at one time.

Rick

Back