Help me pick my next yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
So I have brewed 5 batches of beer... 2 kits with Nottingham ale yeast and stepping grain and 3 with WLP001 California ale yeast and all DME. I washed the WLP001 and used for my last two batches with more in the fridge.

I am looking for another WLP yeast that can be used for my next several batches. I would like to do some wheat and rye beers as well as an abby(doubles?). I like using the washed yeast to help cut down costs as they are almost $10 around here.

I'm still fairly new, so I will be doing all DME and some partial grains. I ferment at 62-64 degrees and haven't had any problems yet. Here are three that I'm thinking about:

WLP351 Bavarian wheat
WLP400 Belgian wit
WLP350 Abby ale

also thinking about WLP099 high gravity since my last two brews had an OG of 1.070 or so. I used the washed WLP001 with very strong fermentation.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm bout to start a batch of AHS honey hibiscus wit using WLP400. I'll let you know how it goes once I get the ingredients in the mail.

Bavarian wheat yeasts, are Belgian yeasts are pretty different. My preference for Belgian yeasts is wlp500, but that's for when I do a BDS, triple, or quad. It's fruity yeast that's for sure.

WLP400 is great for wits and saisons. If that's the yeast you go with make sure you raise the temp torward the end of fermentation. That way you'll get proper attenuation.

it all depends what kinda wheat/ryes you're going for:
american wheat/rye : none of above
rye pale ale: none of above
weizen/dunkelweizen/roggenbier/weizenbock: 351
wit: 400
wheat wine: maybe 351

however, i wouldnt use the same yeast as a wheat/rye on a belgian, except maybe the 400.

also thinking about WLP099 high gravity since my last two brews had an OG of 1.070 or so. .

don't do that. 099 can be difficult and is best used as a secondary yeast. its really not needed til you're double that gravity.

i vote for WLP400, heard Rob Todd from Allagash give an interview once that made me think about brewing a couple/three beers in a row with that yeast. I believe they use something similar to WLP400 for pretty much all of their beers.

A Belgian "wit" with rye could be pretty cool and, I'd say, worth some experimentation. Belgian yeasts would be pretty odd in a Bavarian wheat recipe, however. dcp27 put the question to you pretty well: what do you want? And yes, I realize this is even more difficult if you don't really know what you want, but that can lead to some awfully fun combinations, too!

Thanks for all the quick reply's.

I'm not really sure what I want. I'm trying everything I can get my hands on since I need the bottles and experience with different beers. My experience with craft beers has been I really like them, but can't afford to drink them all the time. Now I find myself shuttering to even think about drinking mass produced commercial beer again.

As far as which yeast I want, this is really about getting some more facts and opinions since I have only brewed with basically one yeast.

My first was a APA, second and third were kits, forth was utilizing alot of citra hops in the 30 minute to flame out to see what a more complicated schedule would produce. I was going for a grapefruit flower in a wheat field theme and it smells like it. My last used 8oz brown sugar at the begin of boil for some aftertaste and color and 4oz at flame out to bump the ABV up a bit. No idea how either have turned out because their both in carboys right now. Now it's time for a new yeast to play with. I have no idea if the liquid is better to use, wash and reuse or just use new packets everytime. I like washing and reusing so for the time that's what I'm going to do.

Please keep the comments coming. I seem to like all the wheat and rye ales I've had, so I'm kinda going that way. Abbies(doubbles?) are about 50/50 for like or not.

Eventially I'm going to have to learn how to convert clones to partial grain, but for now I'm just playing around, keeping notes and having fun.

kcpup said:
Might want to consider WLP550. That is a very versatile Belgian yeast.

Cheers

Love this yeast ..keep it low for mild flavors or turn it up for aggressive flavors

Back