Help me pick my next Belgian strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I specifically picked WLP500 (Chimay, WYeast 1214 I think) awhile back because I love Chimay and the description sounded great. It wasgreat for a long time, I've made several great beers with it.
But now I'm starting to find them too sweet. Even this stronger Belgian blonde I'm drinking now finished at 1.006 from 1.064 (no sugar added) tastes very sweet and strangely similar to the identical beer that I fermented with WLP002!! (That finished at 1.008)

I love Belgians, I just need a new strain that doesn't leave such a sweet impression, but still very Belgiany, fruity, with a good array of the classic Belgian flavors.
I have tried Ardeness 3522 a few times recently, and to me it comes off as a little too "sharp."
I can look up the descriptions, but you guys always say something to help me see through the vague descriptions on the yeast producers' websites
Thanks!

For tripels I like .WY1388. For BDSA's or dubbels I like WY3787.

I do find 1214 too fruity for my taste.

I'm a big fan of wlp550, I make a blonde with it that is mucho tasty. It's plenty fruity with that great Belgian tasty. Though it can be a bit too fruity sometimes.

Thanks for the input all. Extra question: which strain requires the yeast amount of aging?

Most Belgians are slow finishers. WY3787 (Westmalle strain) is notorious for stalling but rewards in dividends for its awesome bouquet. I find it interesting that you are experiencing issues with WY3522, as it's one of the milder Belgian yeasts in terms of ester production.

Another thing you have to consider is the impact added sugars have on your beer. Beers with a significant portion of added sugars will often taste sweeter because the residual sugars left in the beer are more perceptible to the palate. If you are still struggling without using added sugars, you can always add something like saison yeast later to dry the beer out.

Just to throw out another option, Safbrew T-58 makes for a nice brew. It adds some fruity banana flavor and also some pepper to the profile without having too sweet of a finish.

It can throw some sulfur. Just FYI. If you notice that, give it a little extra time to clear out in the FV before you bottle/keg.

Another thing you have to consider is the impact added sugars have on your beer. Beers with a significant portion of added sugars will often taste sweeter because the residual sugars left in the beer are more perceptible to the palate. If you are still struggling without using added sugars, you can always add something like saison yeast later to dry the beer out.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding simple sugars results in lower FG and less residual sugars ....... = a drier beer.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding simple sugars results in lower FG and less residual sugars ....... = a drier beer.

Proportionally less, yes, but relatively more. Adding sugars will boost the apparent attenuation but can cause cloyingly sweet notes to emerge since fructose and sucrose are more perceptibly sweet than malt sugars (maltose, maltotriose, dextrins, etc). Of course, if the yeast has attenuated properly, this shouldn't be an issue.

Chimay seems to be super fruit forward. Westmalle (3787/530) is the perfect balance of fruit and spice for me. It's my go-to Belgian strain.

Proportionally less, yes, but relatively more. Adding sugars will boost the apparent attenuation but can cause cloyingly sweet notes to emerge since fructose and sucrose are more perceptibly sweet than malt sugars (maltose, maltotriose, dextrins, etc). Of course, if the yeast has attenuated properly, this shouldn't be an issue.

Seriously if there is something that you know that I don't please enlighten me. As far as I am concerned, simple sugars break down to alcohol, water, and CO2. They are 100% fermentable (actual rather than apparent), and contribute no additional sweetness. What am I missing.

Chimay seems to be super fruit forward. Westmalle (3787/530) is the perfect balance of fruit and spice for me. It's my go-to Belgian strain.

I've become a huge fan of 3787 and since around October have always had a brew with that on tap.
Just did another refectory ale with it last weekend...

Cheers!

Seriously if there is something that you know that I don't please enlighten me. As far as I am concerned, simple sugars break down to alcohol, water, and CO2. They are 100% fermentable (actual rather than apparent), and contribute no additional sweetness. What am I missing.

I am with Calder on this one. I brew a lot of Saisons and Belgians and add sugar to most of them. Not once have I ever had a brew that I added sugar to seem sweet. In fact it is usually the opposite. THe beers are dry, or as the Belgians would say " digestable"

Back