Help me out with BJCP Exam style question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been practicing the style question(s) for my upcoming exam, and ran across one that I had some trouble with. Even after reading the style guidelines and doing some more research online and in other literature I've got (e.g. Michael Jackson's stuff), I cannot figure this one out.

If you are familiar with the exam, there are several questions of the format where you have three styles that you must outline aroma, appearance, etc. as well as similarities and differences between each, a commercial example of each, and this bit:

Identify at least one aspect of the ingredients (malts, hops, water chemistry) or background information (history, fermentation techniques and conditions, or serving methods) that distinguishes each sub-style.

For most of the combinations I've done so far, this hasn't been a problem. Until I tried to do this question for Scottish Light 60/-, Scottish Export 80/- and Strong Scotch Ale. I honestly don't know what is unique about each one that distinguishes them from each other. They all emphasize malt content, with low hopping and pretty much all the same ingredients except in bigger quantities as you get bigger. The process for all is the same so far as I know. They all use cooler fermentation. Even historically, they are separated into these categories by taxation laws. So, while that does distinguish one from the other, that doesn't seem to be "unique" enough in my mind to qualify. Maybe I am over-thinking it?

Anyone have something to contribute to my knowledge of these styles?

IIRC, its not necessarily info/ingredient that distinguishes it from each other (thats a different question), but just something thats characteristic of the sub-style. That last paragraph should net you full points.

Seems simple as knowing that they taxed each style on grain amount/alcohol produced to determine style. The list of ingredients remains the same, the amount used is different.

Seems simple as knowing that they taxed each style on grain amount/alcohol produced to determine style. The list of ingredients remains the same, the amount used is different.

I would go with this.

Cheers!

National judge and exam grader here.

First things first, the exam will never ask you to compare a 60/70/80. Have you looked at the exam study materials on the BJCP web site? Under the question you are referencing there is a lengthy table of groupings from which the three beers on the exams will be selected. The exam does not deviate from these groupings. So, you could get a question of compare 60/70/strong scotch, or 70/80/Strong, or 60/80/strong - but never 60/70/80. You can, however, get a question asking for all three varieties of English bitters.

To the advise on how to answer part of the question there are going to be many beer selections where components across the compared styles are similar. Write down everything you can think of and make sure to have responses for each section, aroma, flavor, etc. Look at the point spread. The part of the question you are concerned about is only worth 2 points overall. It does vary from grader to grader, but we don't need a dissertation on the background history of the brew. If you identify at least one ingredient aspect or a piece of "recognized" background for each style you should get the credit for that section. Don't forget that section is difference than the compare/contrast. I can't tell you how many exams I have seen that the examinee completely forgets to compare/contrast the beers.

Right, the case in point that I posted was 60/80/Strong Scotch Ale.

I have been trying to train myself to get all the sections answered for all three beers in under 10 minutes. For most of the combinations, each of the beers actually have some unique process, ingredient, or history that applies to a given sub style. In this case, however, I haven't really uncovered anything like that.

I am not sure about the strong scotch ale being unique in boiling down first runnings. I know the others can also have kettle carmelization to some extent or other.

My apologies, I misread your post and thought you said 60/70/80. :) Guess that's what happens when you read too fast. It's tough with the scottish because they are very similar. For the section you quoted if you say the following you should be good:

60 - focused on malt profile using less hops than english counterparts due to need of importing hops, smoked character is traditionally derived from yeast/water and not use of peated malt.

80 - caramelization comes from kettle caramelization and not use of caramel malt.

Strong - Up to 3% roasted barley, also known as a wee heavy.

OK I see what you are saying there, but aren't those things true for all of them?

i.e. Scottish Ales (and Wee Heavy) all use low hopping due to pricing & availability. That is how all of those styles were derived to begin with. Same goes for kettle carmelization and use of roasted barley.

It is true for all of them. It's ok on the test to repeat yourself, just make sure you fill it in for each one. I advocate using the grid method that's discussed in BJCP for Dummies so you don't miss anything. There isn't necessarily something truly unique in the history/ingredient section of each "3 style" question.

Don't over think it, the exam isn't trying to trick you.

For most of the combinations I've done so far, this hasn't been a problem. Until I tried to do this question for Scottish Light 60/-, Scottish Export 80/- and Strong Scotch Ale. I honestly don't know what is unique about each one that distinguishes them from each other.
60/- = Dark Mild, 80/- = Best Bitter, Strong Scotch Ale = Barley Wine.

At least that's what the beers actually brewed in Scotland are like.

All the stuff about minimal hops, boiling down the first runnings, etc is total bollocks and does not reflect the history of Scottish brewing at all.

However, as that isn't how the BJCP sees these styles, I wouldn't mention any of that in the exam.

Latest posts

Back