Help me learn #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
A few months ago you kind gents helped me out with my first AG brew. I made four 1 gallon SMASH beers (2 grains, 2 hops for a total of 4 beers) to help me learn grain flavors. It was enjoyable and I learned. I am now looking to do learning batch #2.

This time I want to compare some specialty grains and some more flavorful base malts. I was thinking of doing something like 2 row and pale ale malt as the two base malts with crystal 20 and crystal 120 as specialty grains. Same hops in all four batches - probably cascade 80% of IBU @ 60 and 20% IBU @ 20.

Thoughts? I want to taste a reasonable difference in the crystal but have them close enough that they don't taste like two completely different beers. I am completely open to any suggestions as far as what you recommend. I basically want two do two popular base malts and two popular but somewhat different specialty grains. Im not set on anything, the above is what came to my head first.

Thanks,
Mike

Threw a quick recipe into brewgr.

2 Gallon batch

3lb 2row or pale ale
.25oz Crystal 20 or 120

.3oz cascade @60
.2oz cascade @20 (25 total IBU)

US-05 @ 66 degrees

As I am writing this I realized that this would mean 4 mashes. Could I mash the 2 row and pale ale malt and steep the crystal? I brew on my stove and it could handle 2 small mashes (I mash in the oven) but not 4. If I could do two mashes then steep the crystal for flavor that would be good for me. Again this is more about learning how to make beer than anything else. What do you think?

Thanks

Again the above is 2 base malts and 2 specialty grains for a total of 4 1 gallon batches.

It took a lot longer to teach my daughter #2 than #1. My good friend's son is the same way. For some reason, #2 is much more difficult, but don't worry, you'll get it.

You can steep the crystal/caramel separately. But I you will have to figure out time, water/grain ratio, etc.

Latest posts

Back