Help Me Improve My All-Grain Brew Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Near-Beer-Engineer

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now and made the switch to all grain about 6 months ago, however I don't have anyone to brew with and so haven't been exposed to many other processes/ideas (other than the stuff shared on this site). My beer is pretty good, but my philosophy is there's always room for improvement.

I'm hoping you guys can take a look at what I'm doing on brew day and let me know if there's anything I haven't thought of or can improve. This also might be a good resource for others to compare their process to mine. Here's how I make beer:

First I heat up mash water (Calgary tap water) to the proper temperature in a 10gal Blichmann boilermaker outside on a Blichmann burner.

IMG_0961.jpg

Once the water is at the right temperature I drain the kettle into a 10gal rectangular Coleman cooler mash tun (clean but not sanitized) through a few feet of silicone tubing. The mash tun has brass connections and valves, but unfortunately the washer I used was not stainless steel and has started to rust a bit. I'll have to replace this soon but am having a real hard time finding stainless steel washers.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

I then load in the grain slowly, stirring with a large plastic spoon until the temperature stabilizes and all the malt clumps are out. I'll usually put a thermometer in at this point with a 1 hour timer and let the mash go. If the temp drops, I'll add in a bit of boiling water and stir to regain the temp. While the mash is going on, I'll heat up sparge water the same way I did the mash water. Sometimes I'll check conversion of the mash with iodophor by monitoring colour change.

After 60 minutes of mashing I drain the sparge water into a bottling bucket (food grade 5 gal plastic bucket) through the same silicone tubing. To sparge I put the bucket on the table, the mashtun on a chair and the boil kettle on the floor. I crack open the mashtun valve slowly and vorlauf 2 or 3 litres until the wort runs fairly clear. Then I connect the silicone tubing to the mashtun and drain slowly into the kettle. To sparge I syphon the sparge water from the bucket with a plastic auto-syphon and choke the flow by pinching the tubing. I'll wave the tubing around to fly sparge evenly while maintaining about an inch of water above the grain bed until I reach my target volume. I record the final volume and take a hydrometer reading here.

IMG_0965.jpg

I boil the collected wort vigourously outside on the burner with no lid usually for 60 minutes. 10 minutes from the end I'll add a tsp of irish moss, and 5 min I'll add some yeast nutrient. If I'm using dry yeast I usually rehydrate while the boil is going on in warm tap water in a sanitized bowl. For liquid yeast I make a starter a day or two before in a sanitized growler using boiled and cooled DME.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1aAsKHjHAY&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

The boil is also when I sanitize some stuff. I fill that aforementioned bottling bucket (also my fermentation vessel) with starsan solution half way (swirling occasionally to cover all surfaces) and soak the airlock/bung. I'll put my immersion chiller in there for 10 minutes to sanitize as well.

IMG_0966.jpg

When the boil is complete I put the kettle on the counter and put the immersion chiller in with cold water running through it. I take a volume reading before and after cooling. The lid sits loosely on top to limit contamination. It usually takes about 30 or so minutes to cool it down to around 70F. When it's cool I put the sanitized bucket underneath and open up the valve to let it drain by gravity and aerate simultaneously. I'll also grab a hydrometer reading from this stream. Sometimes the first couple litres are loaded with sediment, if so I discard (I make about 5.5 gallons so I can do stuff like this). When the bucket is full I put the sanitized lid/bung on and shake the living hell out of it for about 5-6 minutes for further aeration. Sometimes I add the yeast before or after shaking.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

After all this hard work I pop in the sanitized airlock (with starsan inside) and load it up into my mini fridge fermentation chamber set ~5-6 deg F less than the ideal temperature for the yeast. The temp probe goes inside a little sleeve of insulation material and measures the temperature of the bucket wall. I'll usually let fermentation go for 2-3 weeks depending on the beer style, take a gravity reading (or several over a few days to see if fermentation is done), then cold crash at 2 deg C for a few days.

IMG_0747.jpg

After cold crashing I syphon off the trub into a sanitized keg purged of O2 and put it at the appropriate CO2 pressure in the kegerator (after purging the headspace of O2 again). Depending on the circumstances I'll either rock the keg to increase CO2 intake, or do the set-it-and-forget-it method.

IMG_0891.jpg

After that there isn't much left to do but RDWHAHB!

IMG_0918.jpg

Cheers! :mug:

Have you considered batch sparging instead of fly sparging? I prefer the former because I can start boiling the wort from the first runnings while I'm batch sparging twice. I just add the second and third runnings to the boil which seems to save time.

My only other comment is: how and why are you carrying the boiling wort/kettle from the burner to the counter after the boil? Sounds dangerous. I would recommend figuring out how to use your immersion chiller while the kettle is still on the burner. That may require longer hoses on the IC or finding another source of water, but I would definitely not move boiling water or wort under any circumstances, particularly that much liquid.

I've never experimented with batch sparging actually. I assume you'd collect your first runnings (drain the mash tun?) and then start boiling, and collect second/third runnings in a separate pot that you dump into the boil kettle as they're collected? Could definitely save some time.

And I totally agree that moving that much hot liquid is an accident waiting to happen haha... unfortunately I'm brewing in an apartment so my options are fairly limited. I boil on the balcony and cool at the sink ~ 25 feet away. Running that much hose from the sink to the kettle isn't really an option. I'll just hit the gym a bit more to make sure I don't drop anything...lol

The other tip I just started using is an overnight mash. Try searching for threads on it. Boil your water at night, add it to the mash tun, add your grain and stir. Then let it sit overnight. In the a.m., start boiling your sparge water and when its ready, transfer it to your bucket (HLT). Then drain your first runnings and start the boil while you batch sparge. I like it, because it breaks up brewing into two sessions: one at night and one early the next morning. That way, I 'm done before noon on the weekend, so I can do other things. You have to adjust your mash temperatures a bit to account for the overnight loss of heat, but otherwise, it's easy.

One other tip, buy a paint stirrer that fits on a cordless drill. Mashing in, batch sparging and whirlpooling while using your chiller (to speed the cooling and cause you trub to settle in the middle of the kettle) is all a breeze with it. This is the brand I use:
3cfef1515d7f1104952e962ded9e4ab7.jpg

Read Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong. Great book chock full of tips for the all grain brewer...

Have you considered batch sparging instead of fly sparging? I prefer the former because I can start boiling the wort from the first runnings while I'm batch sparging twice. ...

I do the same with fly sparging...start heating the runnings during sparging. With that, it's about 45-60min process, not much more than batch sparging...and definitely less effort.

Back to your original question on improving beer. Your process generally looks good, so altering it should be based on individual factors that impact the beer (maintaining mash temp, maintaining ferm temp, preventing oxidization, etc)

Do you think you're having any problems with those? If not, try experimenting with recipes. :)

Process looks good.

Not a fan of all the movement of very hot liquid objects. I'd vote get the leg extensions for the burner, and an utility stool/platform for the tun and keep everything outside. Use the bucket to transer between the two as required.

I also vote batch sparge - I batch sparge and mash out usually, though I don't know if the MO is really necessary. Just gives me something to do, it's part of my process, so I do it. Collect the 1st runnings in the bucket, then put the full sparge into the tun, stir like mad, and let sit for 5min, stir again, let sit for 5min, then drain. Use the bucket to transfer.

AFA sink/chiller/cool - I'd still run a hose to knock the temp down to under 120F (whatever that is in Canadian - your strange metric temperatures confuse me :D ), then just dump to bucket and put it into the ferm chamber to chill down. Why waste water/time/effort. Just pitch in the morning/whatever.

I'm bad - I don't bother rehydrating dry yeast, but I've tried it both ways and really didn't see a difference either way. Now I just shake like mad for a minute, pitch the packet, and into the swampcooler.

YMMV, this is my experience.

I think the process looks solid overall. You should get better efficiency with fly sparging vs batch sparging from what I've read. I know a lot of people have their mash/lauter tuns set up like you do, but you might get better efficiency if you utilize a false bottom (which would mean switching to a round mash tun, unless you make your own), or maybe change the style of your manifold to better cover the bottom of your cooler.
As far as loosing wort to sediment, I try to whirlpool in the kettle after chilling, then let it sit there for 15 minutes or so to allow sediment to collect before transferring. I also pour my cooled wort through a strainer/colander into my mash tun (sanitized). I then connect tubing to the outlet and let that flow into my fermenter through a venturi aerator (so I effectively aerate twice; the only reason for selecting my mash tun for this application is that it has a spigot to which I can connect the tubing). Using pure oxygen to aerate is in my future plans, but I haven't made the investment yet.

The other tip I just started using is an overnight mash.

Interesting idea. Is the main benefit splitting up the brew day, or do you find any improvement in efficiency as well?

One other tip, buy a paint stirrer that fits on a cordless drill.

This is an awesome idea. I was looking for ways to whirlpool without buying a pump, and this could be just the thing. It will also dramatically reduce cooling time as you mentioned!

Your process generally looks good, so altering it should be based on individual factors that impact the beer (maintaining mash temp, maintaining ferm temp, preventing oxidization, etc)

I agree with that. I think doing the same recipe a few times and evaluating the results will help the most with that. Unfortunately my attention span is too small - I brew a different recipe every time haha. Just purchased some stuff for small batch brewing though; my plan is to brew the same recipe in small batches and change one variable in each to evaluate different theories. I'll post the results when complete!

AFA sink/chiller/cool - I'd still run a hose to knock the temp down to under 120F (whatever that is in Canadian - your strange metric temperatures confuse me ), then just dump to bucket and put it into the ferm chamber to chill down. Why waste water/time/effort. Just pitch in the morning/whatever.

The only thing I don't like about that is there's an increased time for another micro-organism to take residence in the wort. My water in Canada is free and quite cold (classic Canada) so running it to completion isn't an issue.

Not a fan of all the movement of very hot liquid objects. I'd vote get the leg extensions for the burner, and an utility stool/platform for the tun and keep everything outside.

True. One thing I could potentially do is fill a bucket with ice water on the balcony and recirc through that to chill.

I batch sparge but otherwise we are fairly close in technique and equip.

I agree with others that moving the boil kettle is a bad plan.

I do stir like a mad man at mash-in which has really increased my efficiency. Kinda like dissolving sugar in tea which is pretty much what I'm doing: dissolving sugar from the grain into the hot strike water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with that. I think doing the same recipe a few times and evaluating the results will help the most with that. Unfortunately my attention span is too small - I brew a different recipe every time haha. Just purchased some stuff for small batch brewing though; my plan is to brew the same recipe in small batches and change one variable in each to evaluate different theories. I'll post the results when complete!

I'm the exact same way. I do 12 gallon batches and either split them for different boil experiments or yeast/dry hopping experiments. This has proven better for experimentation so I can rebrew what I like (or want to validate), but still push the envelope with something interesting.

Add to your wish list... march pump, 10 gallon HLT cooler, and counter-flow chiller. Get the pump first, if you have to prioritize, CFC last.

Modified process:
1. Heat strike water in BK on balcony
2. Pump strike water to MT cooler
3. Mash In
4. Heat sparge water in BK on balcony
5. Pump sparge water into 10 gallon HLT cooler
6. Vorlauf runnings into BK (gravity)
6. Sparge from HLT cooler into MT (gravity or pump)
7. Boil
8. Chill (either immersion or CFC) -- you may need some longer tubing :)
9. Drain/Pump to fermenter

With this, you never have to lift hot liquid... Also, you might be able to cut 30-45 min out of your brew day by heating your runnings during the sparge. Your efficiency might go up a little too.

Here is my process. I hope this helps you achieve better efficiency at least:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/getting-better-efficiency-batch-sparging-447705/

Read through your post, concise and helpful! I totally agree that stirring will boost your efficiency in a big way. After all, that's what the big guys do, and in my 4 years of chemical engineering school pretty much every reactor was stirred for optimum performance (and a mash tun is really just a reactor after all). If I can do this without losing temperature, I'm gonna try it. Might combine it with pvpeacock's paint mixer idea if it's not too vigourous too.

You should get better efficiency with fly sparging vs batch sparging from what I've read.

I'm actually not convinced of this, although I too have read this from multiple sources. The two factors we're trying to maximize for this sort of "mass transfer" is water-sugar contact time and the driving force for sugar dissolution. Fly sparging may theoretically increase the contact time (since it constantly flows "fresh" water past the grains) however the water gets more and more saturated with sugar as it gets to the bottom of the grain bed, so the driving force is (maybe) less. Something tells me both methods will get very similar efficiencies if done correctly. The manifold probably does affect it though like you mentioned. Larger manifolds likely promote more even flow across the bed. This is something I should probably change.

Add to your wish list... march pump, 10 gallon HLT cooler, and counter-flow chiller. Get the pump first, if you have to prioritize, CFC last.

A pump is very tempting to transfer all this water around. Might have to wait a bit to get that extra HLT cooler though otherwise this tiny apartment is going to be more of a brewery than a home (not that that's necessarily a bad thing...). I've thought about a pump before for transferring wort as well, but using on wort like I've seen some people do makes me nervous. Seems like a lot bigger chance for infection but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I've thought about a pump before for transferring wort as well, but using on wort like I've seen some people do makes me nervous. Seems like a lot bigger chance for infection but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Don't fear pumps. If they caused infections the beer isle in stores would be empty. Just clean the lines before and after use, circulate hot wort through them for a few minutes to sanitize, and you're good to go.

Latest posts

Back