Help me identify this bug!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I'm growing 2nd year Cascade, and they've been really taking off in this strange weather we're having in Portland, OR. Just got back from a week long vacation, and went out to check on them. Found these critters all over, about midway up the plant. There's also what I believe are eggs that look like grains of rice. Should I be worried? What are they? What should I do?

Thanks!

kxsGqpV.jpg

GXd4U1c.jpg

I believe you are in luck. The black bug looks to be a lady bug larvae. The eggs that look like they might be lady bug eggs, however every picture online has the eggs in clusters and not spread out like that. If they are not lady bug eggs which I believe they are, the lady bugs will take care of them.

Larva.jpg

Yeah, the black alligator thing is definitely a good guy! And those do look like ladybug eggs to me, too.

Yeah, those are aphids. Hopefully your ladybug grows up fast... and brings some friends.

Should I get more lady bugs? Is there a good way to take care of the aphid infestation? There are TONS of these eggs.

One tablespoon of liquid dish soap to a gallon of water will help kill aphids. Give the little critters a good blast and it will dry out their waxy coating and kill them. Just be sure not to apply in bright sunlight as it could harm the leafs on your hops.

One tablespoon of liquid dish soap to a gallon of water will help kill aphids. Give the little critters a good blast and it will dry out their waxy coating and kill them. Just be sure not to apply in bright sunlight as it could harm the leafs on your hops.

Is this for the aphids or their eggs? Or both? I don't see any aphids, just their eggs. Should I do this all over the plant or just where I see the eggs? Thanks for the help!

Is this for the aphids or their eggs? Or both? I don't see any aphids, just their eggs. Should I do this all over the plant or just where I see the eggs? Thanks for the help!

When I look at the pic, I only see aphids - big green ones, little white one. Look close and you will see the little legs on each.

Soap kills the aphids by drying out their exoskeletons. It works quite well, but there is one thing that is way more effective: Ladybugs! Earlier this year, my leaves looked worse than yours. After releasing ladybugs, the aphids were virtually wiped out overnight. You can pick up a few hundred ladybugs for only a few bucks. The best part is that they will stay around all season "making new troops". Soap spray can't do that ;)

CGNIZo2UIAA9Qi0.jpg

Here are what ladybug eggs look like. If these appear, you know your hops are well protected.

CGNJTNVUYAAtF8n.jpg

I'm growing 2nd year Cascade, and they've been really taking off in this strange weather we're having in Portland, OR. Just got back from a week long vacation, and went out to check on them. Found these critters all over, about midway up the plant. There's also what I believe are eggs that look like grains of rice. Should I be worried? What are they? What should I do?

Thanks!

kxsGqpV.jpg

GXd4U1c.jpg

They are harlequin ladybird larvae

I found some lady bug eggs today! I'm going to go ahead and pick some more up and let them loose on my plants. Thanks everyone for the help!

That's a perfect picture of ladybug larva.
Here's another...

Asian-Ladybug-Larvae.jpg

Cheers!

WHa?! Are you serious, that horrible looking thing is a ladybug? In what stage, like does it turn into one or something?

I ask because I have these ALL over my hops right now, the big black and orange things, and loads of what appeared to be aphids but have now all died and are just husks sitting on/under each leaf.

WHa?! Are you serious, that horrible looking thing is a ladybug? In what stage, like does it turn into one or something?

I ask because I have these ALL over my hops right now, the big black and orange things, and loads of what appeared to be aphids but have now all died and are just husks sitting on/under each leaf.

"larva stage".

life-cycle-ladybug.jpg

The "husks" are the larval "shucks" after the pupae emerge...

Cheers!

Little bit of an update, went ahead and added more lady bugs to the mix. That was about a week ago. Seeing more lady bug eggs, and larvae as well! I think this'll do the trick, but I'll keep a close eye on it still.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back