Help me go on a barrel aged adventure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on some barrel aged beers to give a try. Backwoods and BCBS both coming out in november has really made me want to give some other barrel aged stuff a shot but im not really sure where to start.

I REALLY loved everything about the BCBS and although I plan to try different stuff I would love to find something that is similar, preferably without having to drop $30 on a bomber of Eclipse. I had a hoppin frog barrel aged boris yesterday and while it was absolutely awesome I couldnt justify the price ($17) again.

Im not limiting myself to stouts either. I plan to buy boulevard bourbon barrel qaud but not really sure where else to go. I dont like sours. I have a local super mega liquor store so anything with chicago distribution that is readily available they will have. What do you guys like?

Alesmith Bourbon Barrel Aged Speedway Stout. (wow)

and/or

Cascade Bourbonic Plague (sour double spiced porter, bourbon barrel aged on dates). It's very spendy but adventure worthy.

edit: sorry, just noticed you don't like sours... someone watching this thread does though so I'll leave it in unless it bugs you then I'll take it out. :)

Picked up the bourbon barrel quad. Drinking now. Really good but wouldnt buy again. More or less what I expected but it surprised me how smooth it is in a good and bad way at the same time.

Good suggestion on the dragons milk that stuff is great.

Tomorrow im going to pick up a four pack of central waters brewers reserve (or whatever it is) BA barleywine. I was looking for their BA stout but could only find the barleywine. More suggestions welcome!

Rye on Rye is a great brew from Boulevard, probably somewhat hard to find right now.....but not impossible.

The NHC this past summer had an oaked IPA that was really good. I do like to try an oaked or bourbon IPA once in a while for kicks.

Founders once had a Maple Bourbon IIPA on tap. They served it at their street party. Zyrup of Doom or something like that I recall.

Latest posts

Back