Help me dry hop my Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhamsteelerfan

Reaction score
Okay, it is time for me to dry hop my Belgian IPA. I took a sample for a gravity reading today, and, wow, was it tasty and very hoppy! . I used an once of Magnum for bittering and threw in an once of Centennial near the end of the boil. Going with a late addition hop method really made a difference.

I am loosely basing my recipe on Stone's Cali-Belique. Basically I started with a clone for Stone's IPA and used White Labs 545 Belgian Strong Ale for my yeast (awesome yeast strain, btw). It is now time to dry hop. I know Stone uses Chinook to dry hop the Cali-Belique, and I have an ounce of that. I want to use that in the dry hop, but I was thinking of using some additional hops as well (after all, I want this to be my recipe!) I have 1 oz of Citra and a half ounce each of Centennial and Cascade. What combinations and amounts would you go with here. I want a really nice aroma to go with this great-tasting beer!

I did a belgian IPA with lots of citra. It was good but different from what you have.

If you're committed to chinook then any of the other hops you have will work. I say use them all and just leave out the citra. I'm worried about chinook and citra together. Seems odd to me.

Batch Size?

Assuming a 5 gallons batch and that you don't want to buy any more hops, I would stick all you have in.

Cenntenial/Chinook is an excellent combo for an IPA.

Well Centennial is just Cascade on crack... save the Cascade if you're going that route and just use the Centennial. I never use the two in the same beer because of how similar they are.

I just finished up a Euro-Belgian IPA that turned out EXCELLENT with 5oz/5gal dry hop. Utilized only .5oz mag FWH then a total of 9oz (american citrusy and dank varieties) and finished up with 1oz of each variety used in armoa/flavor stage... simple and HOPPY! Paired well with the Belgian yeast.

Latest posts

Back