help me develop my taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
Ok I'm a little late to the hop revolution but I'm completely hooked on over hopped IIPA's.

Here's my question. I love SN's torpedo and hoptimum. I like DFH 60 and absolutely hate 90 minute. What is it I don't like about it and some other IIPA. It's hard to describe what I don't like. Maybe the hops they use. I want to avoid these favors in my own IIPA's.

Thanks

90min is much maltier then the others you listed. It uses a fair amount of darker malts that give it a almost roasty quality. I would stick to west coast style ipa's, dry, light and all about the hops.

So what's the coveted heady topper going to be like. BYO has a clone this month. And your right. SN's hop monsters are crisp clean all hops. Love em. They bite back.

I've never had it. I'm guessing its going to be west coast style.

As a recent convert myself I have tried to sample as many IPA and IIPAs as possible. I really like Bell's Oracle, Foot Hill's Hopyum, Ballast Point Sculpin and Founders Centennial, although the Oracle was almost too much for my undeveloped palate.

If you don't like 90 Minute you don't like what I consider "sweet" IPAs. You prefer the out-of-balance big hops (as I tend to prefer). I like both Founder's "All Day IPA" which is a lighter, session ale as well as their Centennial IPA. I'm also a fan of Stone "Ruination".

Oh... Founder's "Red's Rye IPA" is awesome too. Not sure if you like rye, but this might be another flavor you can introduce yourself to. Adds a bit of spiciness.

Latest posts

Back