Help me calculate ppg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I added a 32oz bottle of this stuff to my Christmas ale. Turned out awesome but I'm curious about its effect on my abv and I'm not 100% sure I got my original numbers right. I came out around 1.165 ppg, but obviously its 32oz over 5.5g so I'm not sure what it did.

This is the bottle:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BC61DLG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

PPG is the gravity point increase with one pound of the sugar substance in one US gallon of water.
Most solid sugars and grain are in the neighborhood of 35-40 ppg. Syrup is probably lower because of the water content.

It's easy to measure. Weigh out one ounce of the syrup and top up with water to 1 cup. Mix well and the SG will directly translate into ppg (it should read around 1.035 or so).

Cheers

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I used all of the concentrate already and I added the concentrate as fermentation started to slow down on the wort so I don't have an initial OG incorporating the cherry concentrate.

I took brix and fg readings before kegging as I read there is some way to determine abv with those two numbers but would prefer to get a definitely ppg number to plug into my recipe app.

You can get close enough with the link you sent.

It lists the Brix at 68. That's the only number you need apart from how much you used. From there you can factor it out easily. I wouldn't bother with ppg, just factor it out like a blend.

Say you put 5.5 gallons into your fermenter, at 1.048, which we can call 12 Brix (close enough), and added your 32 oz of 68 Brix, just average it out. (5.5*12+0.25*68)/5.75, for an adjusted 14.4 Brix, or about 1.059. Then you can proceed as normal.

Back