Help me build my brewrig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
Hello.
I have started assembling the parts to build a brew rig but I'm not sure what else I need.

I have the angle iron to build the frame. I also have three 15 gallon kegs, a jaybird stainless false bottom and one burner. I would like to use tri-clover fittings for ease of cleaning.

As far as what I need in addition to what I have, I could use some help.

Thanks for your help.
Keith

There's a lot you'll need. Review some of the build threads here to get an idea. The type of build and the style of brewing will dictate what you'll need. It's not easy for anyone to give you a simple list of what else you'll need as it will be dictated by a lot of choices you make.

you might consider quick-disconnects instead of tri-clovers. As far as cleaning goes, i'm sure you could just soak QDs in cleaner than sanitizer and you're done, not too much hassle. I bought tri-clovers, but they can be difficult to move around and always require 2 hands. Also, if they do get hot, you're handling them much longer (unclamping and reclamping) than if you have to handle a QD. Also, I moved up to 1/2" tubes for speed, but find that i rarely use that extra speed capacity. That and the fact that I have a CFC with a smaller diameter inside tube both make me wish i had spent that money on other upgrades.

Just my $.02

If quick disconnects are easily cleaned, that may be a good choice, thanks for the suggestion. What I am stuck on mostly is what I will need on each vessel. I know I will need ball valves, temperature gauges, and sight glasses. I'm just not sure if I need them all on each vessel and this is where I was thinking of using tri-clover fittings. I imagine weldless fittings or threaded stainless fittings are bacteria havens which will need tedious cleaning.

My plan was to go with a single tier (maybe 2-tier -similar to the brew magic by sabco). I do plan on buying another 2 burners, unless 3 burners are not needed.

I'm eager to get rolling on this so I can ditch brewing with extract/specialty grains. I still enjoy brewing that way, but it seems to me that all grain is the way to go.

+1 to looking around....to me, that's half the fun...looking at other builds and integrating what you want in your own design. Go with camloks...they're cheap, easy to clean, and very high quality. You'll want them on all your vessels, hoses, and chiller. Get a sightglass on your HLT and BK. Therms on the HLT and MLT, no need for a thermometer on your BK unless you use an immersion chiller.

Don't worry overmuch about trying to be 'sanitary' on your wort production equipment. The only time when it matters is after the boil as you cool down for transfer to the fermentor. Since you've just boiled everything for an hour or more, you'll be plenty sanitary. If you can run near boiling wort through your transfer pipe/hose for several minutes, then you are good to go. Otherwise you'll need to find a way to sanitize that path very well.

In the fermentor it's a different story. I'll not take the bait on the weld-less vs welded vs threaded debate, but opinions vary even on that subject.

Were you planning a HERMS system or a RIMS system or direct-fire? If you are nor sure, then Google those terms and read-up. It's really hard to answer your queries before you've got a design goal in mind.

Back