Help Making Mango IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCMuggs13

Reaction score
I am in the process of making my first recipe right now and I'm planning on it being a Mango IPA, as a gift for a friend of mine (although I'm sure I'll keep some for myself) who likes IPA's a lot and absolutely loves mangoes. I plan to dry hop it along with actual mango. I know the mango flavor is likely to not come through a ton so I am planning on using Citra and/or Galaxy hops since I have heard these can give an almost mango taste anyway.

I'm planning to base my recipe mainly off Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA (recepie here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DeadRingerIPA.pdf) and just replace some of the centennial hops, mainly the late addition and/or dry hopping, with the citra or galaxy hops as well as dry hop with the mango. I do not know which to use though so has anyone used both and can give me a little insight into which will likely be better for this with the mango?

Also should I got for fresh or frozen mango? Fresh probably generally has more flavor, although its getting away from mango season now I think, but I think I would need to pasteurize it or something to avoid infection right?

Thanks to anyone who can help out :mug:

Here is my recipe as of now, anyone have any inputs? I chose a fairly low attenuating yeast in hopes some of the mango flavor will come through

Fermentables:
Caramel Malt 40L 1.0 lb 9 % Steep
Golden Light LME 9.15 lb 90 % Boil

Hops

Centennial 1.0 oz 60 min Pellet 10.5%
Centennial 1.0 oz 20 min Pellet 10.5%
Centennial 1.0 oz 5 min Pellet 10.5%
Citra 1.0 oz 5 min Pellet 12.0%
Citra 1.0 oz Dry Hop Pellet 12.0%

Yeasts:
European Ale Yeast WLP011 White Labs 67.5% 65°F – 70°F

Extras: