HELP! Literally froze my C02 Tank and Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrappinit

Reaction score
Kegging experts, I seriously couldn't have even made this up.....

I'm just getting started on my keezer build and put together a STC-1000 temperature controller with double outlets (one hot, one cold). I set it to 4 degrees C and plug the freezer into the cold side of the outlet. Next, I put my brand new 20# CO2 tank and regulator inside the keezer to see how well it will fit. Everything looks good so I leave everything as it is, my kegs are still a few days away on UPS.

Fast forward 24 hours, I check the freezer and the temperature controller reads -25 degrees Celcius. My temperature controller is obviously not quite right (both outlets turn on when with either hot or cold) and now I've gone and literally FROZEN MY TANK AND REGULATOR.

The tank was full, but closed. I'm letting it thaw out before testing anything out but the suspense is killing me.... did I just destroy anything? Will my tank and regulator survive a deep freeze?

Thanks-
Scrapp

wow what a first post...

Well the co2 tank contains liquid pressurized co2... it should hold the pressure, the co2 reg should be fine, might get some condensation inside a guage going that cold...

Sounds like someone forgot to snip the hot side bridge on their duplex outlet.

If the regulator diaphragm survived, I suspect everything will be ok. Good thing no beer was involved!

Cheers! ;)

Sounds like someone forgot to snip the hot side bridge on their duplex outlet.

It's a possibility. I know I snipped the bridge on one side of the outlet and am 95% sure that's the side I hooked up on hot, but there's that nagging 5% that I spaced it. Will have to double check when I get a chance to open her up later this week...

I think you should be fine. I doubt it got cold enough to freeze the liquid CO2 or damage the tank (pressure would have gone down if anything). As for the regulator, there is a slim possibility the diaphragm got damaged but I doubt it. You should be fine.

Latest posts

Back