Help Identifying worms that ate Rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezerpleezer

Reaction score
I planted 3 rhizomes this year (1st time). I used the organic Miracle Grow soil for the base soil. One of them shot up a long time ago, probably 5-6 weeks, but 2 haven't. I decided to dig in and see what the problem was. One rhizome was basically gone, and the other was being eaten. When splitting open the rhizome, I noticed some very small white wormlike things. They were probably about 3/16" long. Any idea what they are, how I can prevent them in the future, and should I do anything to the one that is growing good to make sure they don't snack on it? I have them all in different containers. Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture, but it doesn't have very good detail:

hop worms.jpg

Would have to see a better picture of the actual worm to be certain but, chances are the worm moved in after the roots were dead.

ok, thanks. I had already tossed the rhizome and couldn't find it again. The worms were tiny though and I don't have a professional camera, so probably wouldn't of been able to get any better ones anyway.

Back